Chapter 3b

A/N - this is an additional chapter which is part of the new edit.

*****************************

It was difficult to tell from inside the cabin, how big the ship was. 

I could only guess by the way we were being tossed about, that I was in a small boat.

Francesca and Magda allowed me to leave my cabin and explore the ship. When I reached the ship's massive stairwell, I soon discovered that this little ship was in fact a large ferry with over a dozen decks to explore. As walked up the stairs, I wondered if there were any other passengers on board.

There were a couple of duty free posters advertising perfumes that I recognised and another sign for a shopping deck on upper levels. I thought about going up there when I noticed a laminated A4 poster stuck below the perfume sign.

I crossed the dark corridor and examined the poster.

"NO CAMERAS (INCLUDING MOBILE PHONES) ARE ALLOWED ON BOARD THIS SHIP. IF ANY CAMERA OR RECORDING EQUIPMENT IS FOUND, YOU FACE IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION AND INVESTIGATION."

Beneath the angry message was an official logo that read 'Department of Supernatural Relations'.

I glanced about and spotted other laminated signs.

"CONSERVE ELECTRICITY - TURN YOUR LIGHT OFF"

"NEVER LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER UNLOCKED AND UNATTENDED"

"STAY CLEAR OF DECK 12B - UNSTABLE FLOOR"

"DO NOT USE THE ELECTRIC ON DECK 5A - EXPOSED WIRES MAY CAUSE ELECTROCUTION AND DEATH'

Suddenly, this place didn't seem like a passenger ferry. 

I returned back to the stairwell and went up a few more flights of stairs. All the decks were the same - dark, dirty, and littered with ominous laminated posters warning staff of best behaviour and which parts of the ship were dangerous.

I was standing halfway on the stairs, debating whether I should go back to my cabin, when the ship suddenly lurched backwards as it started to climb a large wave. The whole ship went from horizontal to vertical in a matter of seconds. I grabbed onto the stair's bannister and held on for precious life. I could feel my feet lifting off the floor.

Oh my God - were we about to sink?

I shut my eyes and prayed for a quick end. 

"Lorna, hold on!" A hard masculine voice shouted.

I opened my eyes in time to see Michael, appear right next to me. He placed his arms either side of me, gently pinning me between his chest and the stair bannister. I froze, in fear and confusion. I didn't know what was happening, but his body so warm and he smelt so good...

The ship heaved itself up to the top of the wave and fell forward crashing into the sea. The drop reminded me of a fairground ride. I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for it to be over, while Michael held me tight, stopping me from being thrown against the wall. 

The ship plunged down and levelled out.

I kept still, focusing on the pressure from Michael's chest against my back. The ship swayed from side to side and stilled. I opened my eyes glanced down at the arms around me.

"Michael?" I breathed.

Before he had the chance to respond, the ship's speaker system crackled to life.

"Er...sorry folks. That was a freak wave caused by the storm. We'll do our best to move the ship into calmer waters, but for now, please remain in your cabins."