36. Miyuki's Basketball

CHAPTER 36

         Wannabe was gone.

         More specifically, he'd gone on a field trip.

         Considering he was always around, I tended to forget he was a year older than us, meaning he'd received different opportunities than we could being second years. And in this case—the chance to attend the annual Okinawa trip along with the rest of his third year peers.

          He would be gone for only three days, and left us with a strict earful about the rules and safety concerning the club. The guy was seriously tearing up like a father about to part with his children for years, too. Either way, fast forwarded to now, day one of his absence and it was already shaping up to be pretty darn amazing.

          "Chocolate?" Kouichi offered me as soon as I walked through the clubroom doors first thing in the morning.

          I brightened at once. "Really?" A wide smile crossed my face when he handed me a wrapped piece of chocolate. "Thanks."

          "If you're that excited over a piece, come check this out," Hiro called me over.

           I shifted my gaze from Kouichi. I aimed it in his direction only to be stunned into silence. My jaw plummeted, eyes bulging from their sockets.

          "Th-the hell?"

          Yuji approached the main table propped in the centre of the room, lifting up a handful of lollipops as he did. "It was like this when we walked in."

          My eyes guided themselves around the room. From the floor to the couches and even covering the tops of counters was an endless supply of sweets. Gummy bears, sweet snacks, various chocolate bars and candy canes—even red velvet cupcakes. I had to rub my eyes to make reassure myself it wasn't a dream and after being assured that it wasn't, I raced up to the first haul in my path.

          "Wait," Hiro hissed to me. "Don't just eat it all. We don't know where it came from—"

           "It's so good!" I cried the same time Yuji did.

           Broad grins shaped our mouths as we spared each other a glance, a shared twinkle in our eyes. I munched on the milk chocolate piece Kouichi had given me, savouring the rich taste. I heaved a satisfactory sigh.

          "Are we dreaming?" I had to demand as I went for the candy canes.

          "We must be," Yuji agreed, cheeks filled to the brim with jellybeans. "I've never had such a great morning."

          "Hey!" Hiro yelled, swiping the candies right out of our hands. "Literally right after I tell you guys!" He gritted his teeth as he set them down as far as he could from us. "We don't know where this all came from so we can't trust it—"

          "Aww," I drawled, pouting.

          "Let us eat," agreed Yuji.

          We both nodded and held up our fists.

          "Let us eat! Let us eat! Let us eat!"

      Hiro's eyebrow twitched. "How old are you two?"

          "It should be fine, Hiro-san," Kouichi cut in. He pushed his glasses to a higher position on his nose as he eyed various wrapped candies. "They're all wrapped, and none of them are nowhere close to expiring."

          "Kouichi!" I cheered, diving for the biscuits as Yuji went for the gummy bears.

         "Our only companion!" Yuji hailed.