44-1. Let the chaotic Sports Festival begin

CHAPTER 44 (PART 1)

"Tell us what you know."

From amidst the darkness of the room and currently squinting against the lamplight I was flashing at his face, Wannabe's features were scrunched up.

"Hoshino, y-you're hurting me eyes—"

"Your eyesight won't be the only thing hurting if you don't answer my question." I jabbed the light even closer to his face. "And just to tell you this now, I do not react well to smart lip. Now tell me all the dirt you know or else I'll feed you to Yuji."

"Whoa. Hold on. I don't remember agreeing to cannibalism."

I paused to send Yuji beside me a look. I heaved a loud sigh. "I wanted to give him the least painful alternative but fine, we have no choice but to feed him to Hiro." I jabbed the lightsource closer to his face. "And just so you know, he is ready to rip your sorry ass to shreds—"

My head was knocked from behind.

"Sharks," I muffled, weakly. "I very much meant sharks. Please spare my pitiful life—"

"Kazuya," Hiro snapped. I felt all the hairs on the back of my neck stand tall from the scowl he was clearly wearing. He leaned over the table, grazing my hand which sparked even more goosebumps across my arms as he took the lamp from my fingers. "Tell us what you know."

Wannabe went to shield his eyes. "I already told you I don't know much about Ikumi-chan—"

"Liar!"

Yuji patted my shoulder, drenched in amusement. "Now, now, Bad Cop. Calm down."

I produced a disgruntled breath, leaning back in my seat with folded arms. "Have at him, Good Cop. But you shouldn't get your hopes too high."

A tiny laugh came from the doorway. The room was suddenly engulfed with light, momentarily blinding me. "Care to explain what's going on?"

Before I realized it, Wannabe was racing for the doorway and sniffling like a baby.

"Kouichi, save me from these guys!"

"You guys are already picking on Kazuya-san? School hasn't even begun."

Wannabe snuffled, rubbing at his eyes as he poked his head out from behind Kouichi. "They dragged me out of the library only to attack me here in the dark."

"You're making it sound misleading," I scoffed.

"Says the girl who went and threatened we'd 'eat' him," Yuji retorted.

"But I didn't mean it like that. It's not my fault you want to take it in a yaoi context—"

"Wait, you two told me he wasn't doing anything important," Hiro interjected.

Yuji and I shared a look.

"I mean, studying isn't important," he replied.

I nodded. "It only leads to mental suffering and pain. We saved him, if anything."

Wannabe extended a shaky finger, lower lip quivering. "If I fail my exams and don't get into university it'll all be your fault!"

"It's fine." I waved it off. "Just fail a year and graduate with us."

Yuji flashed him a thumbs-up. "We'll be best buds forever."

"Yeah right!" Wannabe pouted. "As great as that sounds, I can't afford to fail, let alone repeat a grade! I've already planned to fly out to England next spring and that would ruin everything."