40. It isn't impossible

CHAPTER 40

As terrible as it was, it took me a good ten seconds to register that Kazuya was Wannabe. Meaning, the man in front of me was Wannabe's dad.

If I could muster a gasp befitting a child forced into watching the entirety of Another, trust me, I would.

"I kept asking Kazuya to visit your club and see it in action but he's always been one to give me the cold shoulder," Taisuke-san drawled on, pacing in circles. "I even drop in almost every morning... Which reminds me, I do hope you've enjoyed those sweets I've left for you all."

        I was at a standstill. Hiro's hunch wasn't wrong after all? Those sweets and baked goods—they came from Wannabe's dad? And if so, had Wannabe gone to such lengths as to hide them from us because he knew?

        "Hoshino-san," Taisuke-san started over, the corners of his eyelids crinkling as he did. "How is Kazuya's club? Do you enjoy being there?"

        I straightened my posture, swallowing back all traces of my nervousness. "Did you call me here to ask these kinds of questions?"

        Taisuke-san's smile stretched to his ears. "Oh, of course not."

        He turned and took a seat on one of the sofas in this large room. He beckoned to the one across from him separated by a long table and with reluctance, I fell into the seat. Folding my arms across my chest, I stared right at him. He slipped out the lollipop stick from his mouth and went for the gummies.

         "I came to give my thanks."

        My eyebrows rose. Taisuke-san dropped his bag onto the table just as Fujiwara-sensei returned with a piping tray of tea and set it out for him. He also slid one cup over to me, offering me milk and sugar cubes as he did. It was an odd outcome, considering he was the principal and therefore had no reason to be serving me, but I accepted the cup anyway.

        After inhaling the aroma and taking a leisure sip, Taisuke-san set it down onto the coaster. "Kazuya is a tough one to deal with, isn't he? Always the odd one out, easily distracted by menial matters..." As he spoke, he possessed a light tone. "People always find it rather humorous whenever I tell them he's my eldest son—the one who'll be succeeding me one day. I bet you've thought so as well."

        I brought the teacup to my mouth, blowing it a bit before taking a sip. I set it back down, aiming a steady look his way. "And what exactly does this have to do with me?"

        "As I've said, I wanted to give you my thanks. For putting up with my son."

        My lips met in a purse. "Is that so?"

        He reclined into the sofa pillows. "I would've liked to have brought all of these... Humanity Club members to talk to, but after speaking to Suzuki-san, was it? Anyway, when she told me about you—the only member who didn't join willingly—I couldn't help but be intrigued. Though she might've recommended you, I would pin you would've realized how ridiculous a club like the 'Humanity Club' is and demanded to be liberated."

        He paused, inclined to hear a response. So that old hag talked to him already? Why wasn't I surprised she blabbed about me. I offered him a one-shouldered shrug.

         "Anyone would," I replied. "The Humanity Club isn't an amazing club, and has no superb feats in comparison to sports or other clubs. We barely have the amount of students necessary to keep it instated let alone new or older students interested in joining either. We've also come close to disbanding one too many times. I'd find it stranger for somebody to willingly join a club like that and not have any regrets."