38-2. He definitely wouldn't outrank IDOLiSH7

CHAPTER 38 (PART 2)

It was a full-house. Filled to the brim with contagious energy, the kind that made excitement bubble beneath your skin right down to your bones. Most of the lights were shut off and students and teachers alike were either singing or dancing around to the music blaring from the speakers.

Kouichi had been asked by the News Department to take some photos of the event so he gladly went to do so. Hiro and Yuji had run into an old friend from their middle school and since it left me feeling like an awkward third-wheeler, I slipped away before the tenseness could swallow me whole.

It was by the entrance of the gym that I saw her. She was standing with her sister posted at her side, no means of emotions reflecting on her face. They made sure those entering the gym were wearing a proper attire, and were legitimate students of the academy. Her sister rudely bumped her aside only to feign it off with a sneer, and her twin brother who'd always dogged her like some kind of puppy was sure to echo her. And with their backs turned, Saki tried to swallow down the hurt the best she could, but there was no hiding the scowl she aimed into their backs.

"Bull!" Yuji had snapped, lurching to his feet. "She chose this because of the club's inadequacy. She's at her damn sister's beck and call because our club is..."

Yuji's words from then sure didn't seem like a misconception at all.

When Ikumi and Eita went slithering into the crowd, they left Saki behind with door responsibilities. Saki clenched the fabric of her skirt, smouldering. Regardless, she remained by the entrance, even when the emcee began their speech for the night to initiate the event.

"So you're really not keen on coming back?"

Saki's shoulders stiffened but even without turning her head she could tell I was the one speaking. I leaned against the back walls, pinning my gaze to the large crowd ahead.

"Why does it matter?" she finally responded. "I bet you're relieved I'm not there to cling onto or bother you anymore."

Her words were grating my ears; churning me with guilt. "Is that what you think?"

"Isn't that what you think?" she countered. "You've told me plenty of times how annoying I am to you."

Albeit putting herself out there with much confidence, it was easily slipping from her features. Even beneath the blinking lights and upbeat music, there was no hiding the pain emanating from her at all.

Flattening my lips, I craned my attention onto the flickering lights upon the boisterous stage. I was starting to feel sick to my stomach. "Have you spoken to the others yet?"

"About them," she said, stabilizing her pokerface. "I've made up my mind to stay in the Disciplinary Committee so can you tell them to give up on trying to get me to come back? No matter how many times I tell them they just aren't accepting it. Especially Yuji and Hiro."

"It's because they feel guilty," I pointed out. "That you left to save our club."

Saki cracked a humourless smile and fiddled with the cuffs of her primly crisp uniform. Not even a single wrinkle to be found. Then again, she wasn't wearing her hair up in pigtails either, which only worked to make her more unrecognizable.