35. Take your opponents out with one punch

CHAPTER 35

         It seems I've walked in on something terrible.

         "Oh c'mon, Hinata. Buck up."

          I stopped at the threshold of the corridor, a stack of documents in hand. After learning that I hadn't finished my summer homework, Suzuki-sensei had been on my back since and even gave me this haul to take to the staffroom. Regardless... Peeking over into the hallway nearby, I took in the situation with antsy.

Hinata recoiled against the wall; much larger guys closing in on him some more, daunting smirks pinning up their lips.

"We're busy today so just do our work for us," continued the tallest male. "Got it?"

Hinata downcasted his gaze. "But I have—"

"Huh?" he pressed in a domineering hiss. Tilting his head to the side, he positioned his fist against the wood near Hinata's head. "You have what?"

Regardless of his buckling knees, he bit the inside of his cheek to keep his cool. "Nothing," he grumbled out.

The two guys broke out into matching grins.

"See," the leading guy snorted. "That's what I thought I heard too."

Then at that, his subordinate practically shoved the stack of papers into Hinata's abdomen. He barely caught it in time, gritting his teeth from strain, but with a loud laugh and condescending puff, the two delinquents went sauntering down the hall. I gritted my teeth. What the heck? There had to be no way in hell those assholes were hurting my Hinata.

"Do you need me to give those back to them?"

Hinata recoiled in shock as I came sauntering up towards him, beckoning to his pile. I clicked my tongue as I tightly gripped the papers in my hands without a care for a paper cut.

"I'll sock them upside the head while I'm at it."

Hinata froze up, panic breaching his features. He hurriedly opened his mouth, "You have the wrong idea, Hoshino!"

"Wrong idea?" I echoed, pursing my lips. "Who were those guys?"

"My classmates," Hinata responded. "I owe them!"

"You shouldn't owe people like them anything."

"But I do." Hinata repositioned the stack of papers on his arms, lips downturned. "Back in May I asked them to take over my classroom duties because I was in a hurry to get to the Art Club. It makes sense that they'd ask me to take over theirs."

The look on Hinata's face made it evident that wasn't the entire case.

"If it was back in May didn't you already have the opportunity to pay them back?" I pressed.

Hinata's shoulders tensed. "But if they need me to take over for a third time—"

"Third time?" I echoed. My blood was beginning to boil as I swirled on my toes. I nabbed at the documents in his arms. "Give me those, I'm going to return it to them even if I have to shove it up their asses—"

"Hoshino!" Hinata seized my sleeve to stop me. "It's fine, honest. It's my fault for relying on them in the first place."

My furrowed eyebrows didn't relent as I swivelled his way again. "And because of that they have to treat you like this? I don't accept that. That's why I can't understand why you can!"