Chapter 24 "Bye, Beth"

At work, Shaylynn sits in a room trying to listen to Alexander talk about what's going on.
Instead of listening to him she can't stop wondering why Halstead is doing this job.
She knows he said he's doing it as a favor for a friend but why can't the friend do it seeing that most of Halstead's friends are cops.
Suddenly something pulls her from her thoughts.
"Are you ready?" Christian asks her.
"What?" she asks confused.
"Are you ready to go?" Christian asks her again.
"Yeah," she says standing up grabbing her coat and bag.
Walking outside, Shaylynn walks toward her Charger, "You don't want me to drive?" Christian asks pointing to his Mustang.
"No, I'll drive," she tells him.
"Alright," Christian says walking over to her car.
Once he's finally in and has his seat belt on, Shaylynn drives off.

~~~~~~~~

After getting back from delivering the money, Halstead returns the key to Brianna.
"I'll be leaving," he tells her walking out the door, she follows him outside.
Halstead walks over to his truck, "You don't have to go anywhere," Brianna tells him, "You can hang around with me."
"I really need to be going," Halstead tells her.
"But we should talk, get to know each other better," she says smiling at him.
Halstead gives her a look, "Maybe some other time," he tells her.
He's just about ready to turn around when Brianna grabs him, pulls him forward, and kisses him.
That's when he hears something familiar.
Hurrying and pulling away from Brianna, Halstead looks to see a black Charger quickly pull from a side street and race down the street that's in front of him.

~~~~~~~

"I can't believe he would do something like that to me!" Shaylynn says as she races down the street.
"Maybe you better slow down," Christian tells her.
Shaylynn quickly pulls over, her anger turning into sadness.
"He's never loved me! It's been nothing but a sick joke to him!" she tells Christian.
She puts the car into gear, pulls away, and drives off.
"Where are you going?" Christian asks her.
"Home," she tells him.

~~~~~~~~

Halstead quickly pulls into the driveway.
He sees bags sitting outside.
Quickly getting out of his truck, he rushes inside, "Shaylynn!" he yells out.
She comes downstairs carrying two more bags.
"Why are there bags outside and you're carrying those?" he asks her.
"You're moving out!" she tells him.
"I'm what? Why?" he asks her.
"You damn well know why!" she tells him, "I'm sick of your shit! This time you can't use the excuse that you were drugged! I saw you kissing that woman! Does she work at that clinic?"
"She's the owner," Halstead says looking down at the floor.
Shaylynn shakes her head, "You were never doing this for a friend, were you? It was all about her!" she says, "I don't care where you go but you won't be staying here!" she says putting the bags beside the door.
"Where's Jacquelyn?" Halstead asks her.
"She's in the playroom with Wendy so she wouldn't be witness to this," Shaylynn tells him, "You need to go!"
"Shaylynn," Halstead says.
"I said you need to go!" she yells at him opening the door.
Halstead can't believe what's happening.
He walks to the door, picks up the bags, and looks at her, "I love you," he says to her.
Christian steps out of the kitchen some to hear what Halstead says and rolls his eyes.

Shaylynn looks away from Halstead, "Go!" she tells him.
Halstead walks out the door with Shaylynn closing it behind him.
Christian walks up to her, "Are you alright?"
"Fucking fantastic! Let's go back to work," Shaylynn says as she listens and hears Halstead's truck get quieter the further away it gets.

~~~~~~~

Later that night sitting in a bar, Christian takes a drink of his beer when someone sits down beside him, "How did your day go?" he hears his brother Mark ask him.
"Wonderful!" Christian tells him as another person sits down on the other side.
Christian looks over at them, "How did I do?" they ask.
"You did wonderful, Brianna," Christian tells her pushing a beer her way.
"Christian, what are you up too?" Mark asks him.
"Well unlike you chasing Beth, I'm making it so Shaylynn comes running to me," Christian tells him.
"What did you do?" Mark asks.
"Brianna here put the moves on the husband in front of Shaylynn," Christian tells him.
"How did you manage Shaylynn seeing that?" Mark asks.
"It was perfect timing really. Shaylynn and I left from work and I told her we needed to be at a certain address. It just so happens as we were at a stop sign in front of Brianna's operation and she just happened to be outside kissing him. It was perfect!" Christian says with a huge smile on his face, "Now all I have to do is be the sympathetic shoulder to cry on, tell her that he doesn't deserve her, and she should be mine in no time!"

~~~~~~~

After putting Jacquelyn to bed, Shaylynn's sitting in her bed crying.
She can't believe this is happening to her.
Out of everyone she has dated, she thought she finally found her soulmate in Halstead.
Shaylynn picks up her phone, "Hello," she hears.
"Beth, Jay cheated on me!" Shaylynn tells her then starts sobbing.
"What? How do you know this?" Beth asks her.
"I saw him kissing another woman," Shaylynn says wiping her eyes, "I really shouldn't be bothering you with this what you've been through," she says hearing waves in the background, "Oh shit! You and Kelly are in Laguna Beach. Beth, I'm so sorry! I'll let you go!"
"Shaylynn," she hears Beth say.
"Bye, Beth," Shaylynn says hanging up.
Shaylynn lays the phone down on her lap right beside her gun.

~~~~~~~~

The character Beth belongs to Paulinemartin100