Chapter 36 "Not A Chance"

After buzzing Beth in, Shaylynn watches as she drives up the driveway with a black Camaro following her.

A few minutes later Shaylynn hears Beth and Reneé talking. She walks around the couch and to the foyer, surprised by who she sees standing beside Beth.
"What the fuck are you doing in my house you little prick!" Shaylynn shouts at him making Reneé jump.
"Sorry, Reneé! Can you please go into the living room for now?" Shaylynn asks her.
"Sure, will you be alright?" Reneé asks her.
Shaylynn nods to her then Reneé walks to the living room.
"Why Shaylynn?" Beth asks her.
"I don't want Kelly hurt!" Shaylynn tells Beth as she glares at Mark.
"He's not gonna get hurt!" Beth says shouting, "You made me think Mark died! You might be used to blood and gore but I'm not!" she says not trying to cry, "But paying him to stay away from me!"
"He took the money!" Shaylynn reminds Beth.
"Only because you had a gun pointed at my head! I transferred the money back to you!" Mark tells her.
Shaylynn glares at him more intensely, "You've been after Beth for weeks! I had to try and get rid of you!"
"You didn't need to pretend to shoot him and have him die on me like that"! Beth tells her.
"And what a great performance that was!" Shaylynn says giving Mark the golf clap, "Makes you think if he has an ulterior motive with you!"
"Why the fuck would he? It's certainly not money, his family has more money than me!" Beth tells her.
Shaylynn looks at Mark, "Then why was Christian after my money for?"
He shrugs his shoulders, "I like Beth, a lot! But I know deep down that nothing will come of it. But that doesn't mean me and her can't be friends," Mark tells her.
"You sound like Buck," Shaylynn says.
"Who?" Beth asks her.
"Never mind," Shaylynn tells her.
"You can't wrap Kelly and me up in cotton wool, Shaylynn! But we're solid, we've been through to much!" Beth says.
"That prick was going to kiss you!" Shaylynn says as she puts her hand on her stomach.
"I am standing right here!" Mark says.
Shaylynn glares at him once again, "Then I would have slapped him!" Beth tells her.
"Thanks!" Mark says looking at Beth.
"You saw the state I was in. How could you put me through that? For all I know that's why I could've lost my son," Beth says crying.
Shaylynn felt the tears making their way down her cheeks, "Who else knew about it? Butch? Rob?" Beth asks.
"Just Butch. Rob doesn't know!" Shaylynn tells her.
"Good!" Where's your phone?" Beth asks her.
Shaylynn reaches into her pocket and takes out her phone, "Give it me!" Beth says holding out her hand.
"Why? Where's yours?" Shaylynn asks giving Beth a confused look.
"I dropped it in the parking lot at Mariano's," Beth tells her.
Shaylynn unlocks her phone and hands it over to Beth. Once Beth has the phone, Shaylynn wipes her eyes.
"I'm phoning Kelly," Beth tells them.
"What! Just read me my last rites now why don't you!" Mark says looking worried, Shaylynn looking at him with a shitty grin.
"Oh shut up and don't be stupid!" Beh tells him.
Shaylynn watched as Beth pressed the home button and told the phone to call Severide, "Beth!"
Beth looks at her, "I'm not talking to you," she says as Severide answers, Beth putting him on speaker.
"Hello," Severide says.
"Kelly, can you come over to Shaylynn's?" Beth asks him.
"Is she alright?" Severide asks her.
"Yeah, we need to talk to you," she tells him.
"What?" Severide says with confusion in his tone.
"Please, just come over. Shaylynn needs to tell you something!" Beth says looking at Shaylynn.
"Can't she just tell me over the phone?" Severide asks.
"No," Beth tells him.
"Okay, I'll be there in ten!" Severide says and hangs up.
Beth hands Shaylynn her phone, "Come on, let's go into the kitchen, I need to sit down," Shaylynn says.

Walking into the kitchen, Beth and Mark sit at the island, "You want coffee?" Shaylynn asks.
"You might try and poison us!" Beth tells her.
Shaylynn wrinkles her nose at Beth, "Very funny you little shit!" she says seeing Beth fidget, "What's wrong with you?"
"I feel like my right arm has been cut off!" Beth tells her.
"Your phone?" Shaylynn asks.
"Yeah," Beth says.
"That was my fault! I'll get you a new one," Mark tells Beth.
"I have spare ones at the house," Beth tells him.
"You do know the shit's going to hit the fan when Kelly sees him!" Shaylynn tells Beth as she looks at Mark.
"We can't not tell him! You do know Mark's a record producer?" Beth asks her.
"Yeah, so?" Shaylynn questions.
"At RCA," Beth tells.
Shaylynn stands there as she looks at Mark than to Beth, she starts shaking her, "Yeah, Kelly is going to have a shit fit!"
"What does that have to do with anything?" Mark asks.
"I had a meeting at RCA yesterday in New York. They want to sign me but I need to do a few tracks first," Beth tells him.
"Really? I haven't been told of anyone new being signed. Good for you!" Mark tells her.
"It was all because of you!" Beth says.
"Why was that?" Mark questions.
"If Kelly hadn't thrown you out of Molly's I wouldn't have sang that night and the video wouldn't be on Youtube," Beth tells him.
Mark takes his phone out of his pocket, "What do I search for?" he asks.
"Search for little shit!" Shaylynn tells him, Beth giving her a glare.
"Oh don't! That's well embarrassing!" Beth says.
Mark laughs, "I want to know what I have to work with!"
Shaylynn watches the exchange between the both of them and shakes her head.
"Beth Severide," she says.
Mark finally found it when Jacquelyn runs into the kitchen, "Mommy, drink please," she tells Shaylynn when she spots Beth.
"Auntie Beth!" Jacquelyn squeals as she runs to her.
"Hey!" Beth says smiling, "Give me a hug!"
Shaylynn watches as Jacquelyn climbs up onto Beth's knee giving her a hug as Mark looks at them and smiles.
Jacquelyn hears what Marks's watching, "Auntie Beth, you sing that song!"
"I know! I love you!" Beth tells Jacquelyn.
"Love you too!" Jacquelyn says as Beth kisses her.
Jacquelyn gets down and walks around the island over to Shaylynn who was getting a juice box out of the refrigerator for her, "Here you go. Remember to put the empty box in the trash when you're finished with it!" Shaylynn reminds her.
"Tank you!" Jacquelyn says as she takes it, she turns and runs out of the kitchen.
"I love her so much!" Beth says as Shaylynn smiles.
"Wow, Beth! You have some voice! And you can play the piano!" Mark tells her.
"Thank you! I'm going to the bathroom before Kelly gets here," Beth tells them as she stands up, "And you leave Mark alone while I'm gone!" she says looking at Shaylynn.
Beth walks out of the kitchen and disappears around the corner.
Shaylynn walks around the island right over to Mark, Mark backing up, "You just can't stay away from her, can you?" she questions him in a little growl.
"Shaylynn, we're just friends!" Mark tells her.
"You love her! I can tell by the way you look at her!" Shaylynn says.
"She knows I love her. I've already told her already," he tells her.
"Please leave her alone! Promise me!" Shaylynn says to him as she grabs her stomach.
"Are you alright?" Mark asks her as the buzzer for the gate sounds.
Shaylynn walks over and buzzes Severide in, "I'm fine but you need to go now! Before he sees you! Go out the kitchen door and get into your car when Kelly comes into the house," Shaylynn tells him.
"I'm not hiding from him!" Mark expresses to her.
"He just got off shift with hardly any sleep. He'll be like a bear with a sore head! Just fucking go!" Shaylynn shouts at him.
"Okay!" Mark says standing up and quickly makes his way out the kitchen door.
As soon as Mark was out the door, Beth walks back into the kitchen, "Where's Mark?" Beth questions with a worried tone in her voice but what she didn't know was Severide was behind her.
"What do you mean where's Mark?" Severide questions pissed off, "What the fuck is going on? Who's Camaro is that out front?"
"Tell Kelly all about it Shaylynn!" Beth tells her.
Shaylynn sighs and tells Severide everything, she could see on his face he wasn't happy, "Damn it, Shaylynn! How could you make Beth think that he was dead? Is he here?" Severide asks.
"Yeah, he was," Shaylynn tells him.
"Couldn't you have just scared him off?" he questions.
"I thought the money would do it," she tells him.
"I'm sure his family is loaded," he says looking at Shaylynn.
"What?" she asks him.
"Are you alright?" Severide asks.
"Yeah," Shaylynn says but Severide could tell differently.
"What's wrong?" he asks her.
"I'm having sharp pains. I need to sit down," she tells him walking over to the kitchen table.
"You need to go to Med! Beth, phone Jay!" Severide tells her.
"I can't my phone was smashed," she tells him.
"Fuck! Is that why I couldn't get through to you?" he questions as he takes out his phone.
He called Halstead when he didn't answer he left a message for him saying he was taking Shaylynn to Med.
"We can't be losing any more babies! I don't think my heart can take it!" Severide says as Reneé walks into the kitchen.
"Is it safe to come in now?" she asks then notices Shaylynn in pain, "Shaylynn!"
"I'm fine now! The pains are away," Shaylynn says.
"You're still going to Med!" Beth tells her.