Chapter 6 " How Big Is It"

Pulling into the driveway, Halstead gets out of the truck then opens the back door to get Jacquelyn as Shaylynn and Reneé get out on the other side.
"Are you alright?" Reneé asks Shaylynn.
"Yes, why are you asking?" Shaylynn asks her.
"It's just your right hand is all red," Reneé says.
"I hit it on something," Shaylynn tells her.
"Or on someone," Reneé says waiting to see what Shaylynn's reaction is.
Shaylynn just stares at her, "You better get inside before you get sick," she tells Reneé, "Adam and Kim will have my ass if that happens."
Reneé laughs, "What?" Shaylynn asks.
"Pretty sure you don't have to worry about that," Reneé tells her.
Shaylynn smiles, "Get inside!"
Halstead's standing in front of the truck holding Jacquelyn's car seat as Reneé walks up to him, "Are you coming?" he asks Shaylynn.
"I'll come in, in a little while," she tells him.
Halstead looks at Reneé who's looking at Halstead, "I'll take Jacquelyn inside," she tells him.
He hands over the car seat, "Thanks, Reneé," he tells her.
Reneé takes Jacquelyn and heads inside.
Halstead walks over to her, "How are you doing?" he asks her.
"I feel like a huge fool not seeing what Kelton was up to," Shaylynn tells him.
Standing behind her, Halstead wraps his arms around her, "He's a politician now who knows how to lie so people will believe him. Wait until Luce finds out what Kelton did to get you to go with him to New York. Luce is going to be pissed!" he tells her.
Shaylynn turns around in his arms to face him, she turns her head and lays it on his chest, "I'm still a fool for not seeing what he was up to!"
"Let's go inside. It's too cold to be standing out here talking about this," Halstead tells her.
Shaylynn backs up from him, "Okay," she says.
Halstead grabs her hand and intertwines his fingers with hers. They walk hand and hand up to the house.

The next morning, Shaylynn's up bright and early.
As she makes breakfast, Reneé shuffles into the kitchen like she's been up all night, "Didn't you get any sleep?" Shaylynn asks her as she sits a plate of pancakes in front of her.
"A couple of hours," Reneé tells her, "I have exams coming up that I need to study for."
"If you don't get any sleep all the studying you're doing isn't going to matter if you're sleep deprived and fall asleep during the exams," Shaylynn tells her.
Halstead walks into the kitchen looking like he's been up all night also.
Reneé looks at Shaylynn and smiles, "This wasn't me. Jacquelyn's teething and he kept getting up with her to let me sleep," Shaylynn tells her.
Halstead sits down at the kitchen table as does Shaylynn to eat their breakfast.
Fifteen minutes later Shaylynn looks at the clock, "We better be hurrying up. You're going to be late for school," she tells Reneé.
"You're taking me today?" Reneé asks.
"Yes, we'll take one of Jay's trucks this time," Shaylynn tells her.
Reneé walks out of the kitchen to get her bag.
"I'll see you later," Shaylynn tells Halstead smiling at him.
She bends down and kisses him.
"Are you sure I can't talk you into going back to bed after you drop off Reneé?" Halstead asks her.
Shaylynn starts laughing, "If we could, you would want us to live in bed," she tells him.
Halstead gets a shitty grin on his face, "Of course! Then I would have that ass all to myself!" he says grabbing her.
Shaylynn smiles, "I better go! I have errands to run after I drop Reneé off at school."
Halstead's grin turns into a frown, Shaylynn starts laughing more.
"We have tonight," she reminds him.
"I'm ready!" they both hear Reneé yell.
"I have to go," Shaylynn says and kisses him again, "Grace should be here soon to take care of Jacquelyn."
She turns around, grabs her bag off the counter, and walks out the kitchen.
Walking down the hallway, Shaylynn sees Reneé waiting by the front door.
"Which truck do you want to take?" Shaylynn asks her.
Reneé smiles, "The big one," she says.
Shaylynn starts laughing, "The big one it is."

~~~~~~~

Pulling up in front of the school, Shaylynn looks around and sees a truck she recognizes, knowing which one of her guys is at the school today to watch over Reneé.
She looks around more and gets an uneasy feeling, "Shaylynn," Reneé says.
Shaylynn quickly looks over at Reneé, "Sorry, something caught my attention. Behave!" she tells her.
Reneé smiles, "I'm always behaved!"
Shaylynn starts laughing, "Sure you are!"
Reneé shuts the door and starts walking up the sidewalk to the school.
Shaylynn looks around more not being able to shake the uneasy feeling.
Pulling away she drives down the street.
Two men are sitting in a car parked one street over from the school.
"She just pulled away. Do you want us to follow her?" the driver asks into his phone.