Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Damon's POV

I felt myself come back to consciousness. There was a stinging in my cheek and a pounding in my head. I groaned as my eyes began to slowly opening to see my brother, who was smacking me in the face and telling me to wake up.

"Fuck off, Keith! I'm awake!" I swatted at his hands as I sat up. I touched my headed as if it could magically make the painful pounding go away.

"How did Terrance, of all idiots, beat you up?" Keith asked as if he was ashamed, which is actually reasonable.

"I don't know, man," I pause, groaning as the pounding got worse when I spoke. "Before I went out, I heard him talking to himself. 'You're not weak Terrance'. What is that supposed to mean?"

"He is probably being influenced. Terrance doesn't look like the type with a past," Keith says confidently, holding his hand out for me to grab and hoist me up. "That's gonna leave a mark," Keith points at my cheek with a slight wince.

"I wasn't expecting it!" I raise my voice, but regret as the pain just gets worse. "You would've got knocked on your ass, too, Keith."

"Sure," Keith trails off sarcastically. "We need to get home and put ice on your- well, everywhere by the looks of it."

I just nod as we walk out to the car we've had to share since Keith could drive. Keith drives us home and I notice that there are multiple cars in the driveway.

"Great! Mom and dad are here and they're going to see me all beat up," I groan resting my head in my hands against the dashboard. Well my parents are going to give me another glimpse of hell.

"You say it like they've never seen you beat up. They don't even know about-" I quickly cut him off, as if someone was hiding in the backseat about to find out our secret.

"I know they don't know about that, Keith, and we are going to keep it that way," I sigh, not wanting to even speak of what he was going to say. If my parents ever found out I did what I did, I'd be grounded for life.

We walk inside after we park the car in the garage.
"Oo, dude, Zeke is home," Keith whispers as we walk into the house as quietly as possible. I hear our older brother's booming laugh from the living room along with my parents'.

"Shit," I hiss. "I'm going up to my room, man. Could you bring me up ice and just say that I was hanging with a friend or something?"

Keith smacked his lips and rolled his eyes, "Dude, I could come up with a way better excuse, and yes, I'll bring up your ice."

"Thanks, man," I silently bro-hug him. I tip toe up the stairs to my room and quietly close the door. I release that deep breath I had been holding for what felt like forever before falling on my bed in a heap. Today has been a long day.

Not too long after I had laid down on my bed, Keith came up with ice.

"Thanks," I sigh, holding the ice to my cheek. "I owe you."

"How about just letting me sleep with Sara?" he jokes.

I glare at him and say sarcastically, "Sure, because when I make bets I'm not serious about it."

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," He defends. "I'm going back downstairs. I told them I was going to the bathroom."

"How the hell is that a better excuse? Did they not ask why you couldn't just use it downstairs?" I ask, incredulously.

"They like me, Damon. You... not so much," he sighs as if it was a burden. I scowl and throw my pillow at him, hitting him smack in the face. "Ouch! I was just kidding!"

"Get out of my room, Keith before I hurt you," I lay on my back as I glare jokingly at him. He rolls his eyes, muttering a 'you're welcome' and reluctantly walking out of my room, closing the door behind him.

I sigh as the coolness of the bag of ice numbs my cheek. I eventually fall asleep, knowing my cheek will probably have quite a mark on it tomorrow.

****
Sara's POV
****

After Terrance drops me off at my house, I change into a suitable outfit for training today. I dial the Willis's home phone and wait.

"Willis Residence. This is May Willis," I hear Mrs. Willis's voice.

"Hey, Mrs. Willis'," I chuckle at her formal greeting on the phone.

"Oh, hello, dear!" her voice automatically loses any professional tone. She chuckles slightly, "I haven't added your name to the contacts. I'll have to do that."

"Yes, ma'am, that's fine," I say slowly, not sure how to respond. "I was wondering if you could take care of Madeline a little longer. I was going to train today with J."

"Of course, dear! You can come by when you like to pick her up," I sense the warm and welcoming smile as she speaks. I thank her before calling Joshua and asking him to pick me up.

Around ten minutes later, I was in Joshua's car on the way to the gym. We didn't really converse than a short 'hi, how are you?' talk, then we didn't speak at all.

We get out of the car when we arrive at the small gym that Joshua owned. He starts getting everything set up while I go to the restroom. By the time I come back, he's had our equipment and exercises set up.

"Alright, Sara. Today we are working on your fighting skills, since you haven't been training and I've heard you have a fight this weekend. Is this true?"

"Yes," I nod.

"Well you better get yourself together, hon. You're coming to training, and on the day of the fight. If you expect to get anywhere with your fighting, even if it's just for the money, you're going to have to be at the top. That means you better show up to practices," he scolded and I just nod my head in response. "Let's begin."

***
By the end of the night, I'm sure the amount of sweat on my body could end the drought in Texas. Joshua had definitely made up for the two days I had skipped and to say I'm exhausted is an understatement. After clamoring into my seat, I buckle up as Joshua makes his way back to my neighborhood. He drops me by the Willis's house so I can pick up Madeline for the night.

I knock on the door and wait. The door opens but I have to look down to see little Madeline staring up at me.

"Madeline, why are you answering the door?" I give her a pointed look, making her look down at her feet.

"I missed you," Madeline says sadly. I can't help but feel the pang in my chest when she says that.

"I missed you, too, Madeline, but we don't open doors. There could've been strangers, just like I taught you," I kneel down to her level and make her look up at me. She nods before I hear footsteps and look up to see Mr. Willis.

"Hello, Sara. You're ready to take Maddie home then?" Mr. Willis looks slightly relieved when I nod.

"Yes. Thank you so much for watching her."

"No problem, Sara. Good night."

"Good night, Mr. Willis," I sigh as Mrs. Willis brings Madeline's stuff to the door. I grab her things and her hand before walking back to our house. I unlock the door and turn on the lights, before taking Madeline to take a bath and put her to bed.

I go through the same routine and as soon as my head hits the pillow, I'm knocked out.