Chapter 2

Chapter Two

The bell for the end of the day rang. I let out a sigh of relief, my shoulders slumping as I realize that I'm done for the day. I put my stuff in my locker since I finished my homework during free period, and there's no homework for P.E or Sex Ed, thank goodness.

Sex Ed was terrible. I don't just mean because we have to talk about sex, I mean because Damon decided it'd be fun to sit next to me and try to touch me. He got what he deserved, though, which was a punch to the baby maker. I was trying not to laugh at how he was rocking back and forth in his seat and whimpering like a little girl.

I walk to the parking lot and find Olivia by her car. She waves me over with a smile.

"Hey girly!" she says.

"Uh, hi. I'd appreciate if you didn't call me that. I like plain old Sara," I say, trying to be nice.

"Oh okay! Get in the car, Sara, so we can go get your sister," she emphasizes on my name, making me laugh a little. I get in the passeneger side and she drives off as I give her directions. She pulls up to Mr. and Mrs. Willis' house, and we get out. I ring the doorell and Mr. Willis opens the door.

"Hello, Sara," He smiles. "Little Maddie is watching T.V. How about you come inside?"

"Thank you. Could my friend come in?" I ask. He nods and motions us in. We walk in and I automatically here Madeline talking along with the tv show she's watching. When we walk in, she's jumping with Barney on the TV.

"Ah! She's adorable!" Olivia coos, making me roll my eyes.

"Hey, Maddie," I say getting her attention. She quickly whips around, her brown eyes lighting up when she sees me. "How 'bout you come meet my friend, Olivia."

She grin as she hugs me, saying, "Sara! Are we going to get ice cream? Are we?"

"Yes, I'm going to talk to Mrs. Willis, then Olivia is going to take us," I say, motioning to Olivia. "Tell Olivia about yourself, okay? I'll be back."

As I walk to the kitchen, I hear Olivia ask Madeline what her name is, and vice versa. I walk into the kitchen to find Mrs. Willis getting out a pan of cookies from the oven.

"Hey, Mrs. Willis," I say.

"Oh, hello, dear! You're already out of school?" She smiles as she sets the hot pan on the counter.

"Yes, ma'am. Olivia is driving me to the mall and getting Maddie ice cream," I reply.

"Oh that's nice, sweetie. Who's Olivia?"

"A friend of mine. She's new here, so I thought I'd be nice and try to be friends with her," I say. Her face is shocked, but it lights up with a huge grin.

"Oh, dear, that's wonderful! I'm so proud of you!" she says as she hugs me, making me freeze, but eventually hug her back. When we pull away she has tears in her eyes. "I thought you'd never try to make any friends, especially after what you've been through." I just nod, not sure what to say. "Well you best be on your way. Have fun!"

I give her an awkward goodbye, before grabbing Olivia and Madeline and heading out the door. I sit Madeline in the backseat and buckle her up.

"Oh! I almost forgot, i gotta get money from my place," I say, before running to our house and unlocking the door and going to the safe. I put in the code and opened, grabbing a few hundred dollars and my old satchel. I run out to the car and we drive off.

**
We get to the mall about twenty minutes later. I've been here before, it's just been some amount of years since then. We walk in and Madeline gasps as we walk through the glass doors. She's awestruck and seems in her own world as she looks around.