18

I wanted to call him, but he sent another message.

otisslayer17: actually, it's okay. It's better if we talk in the morning.

That had me wondering: did Otis not find out about our dating rumors or was he really being casual about it?

_______________________________________________________________

I dreaded getting up for school the next morning, but this time I had to go. I dragged myself out of bed and crawled into the bathroom. I slapped on a shirt and sweats with some black Vans, let my hair down and grabbed my backpack. I carried myself towards the kitchen and opened the fridge. I grabbed a smoothie bottle, took a deep sigh, and headed out the door.

I parked as far as I could and hurried towards my class. I walked into chemistry, and noticed I had beaten Otis to class for the first time. The late bell had already rung-still no sign of Otis.

He must've found out. But why would he miss Chemistry class? That's not like him.

During lunch, I walked over to the portable by myself-  Otis still wasn't there.

I walked in and saw Otis waiting for me in the dim room. 

"Otis? Why weren't you in class? When did you get here?" 

"An hour ago. Look, maybe we should talk- about the event. I'm sorry for bailing out on you, especially last minute. I know you wanted me there and how much it upset you-"

I interrupted him. "I just want to know why you weren't there when you said you were going to be." 

"Because I- I got overwhelmed. But can you blame me, though? It has nothing to do with you and it's not you, it's me. I'm the problem here. I'm practically invisible at school, and being suddenly thrown into the spotlight is something I am not used to nor ready for, Vivienne. Please understand?"

I paused for a second. He wasn't wrong. He still didn't mention the dating rumors, but something told me that if he didn't know about them- he should. 

"I'm sorry if I had overreacted. I just really wanted you to be there and meet my friends, but I don't see that being a possibility after this." I'm not going to lie, I was hurt. Camille was right about me going to a normal school and trying to make 'normal' friends- I was only going to end up ruining their lives in the end.

"Vivienne, I hope we're still okay. I care about you. I know how hard being in school and juggling your busy schedule is and I want to be here for you." He placed his hand on my shoulder and I gave a slight smile and left. 

____________________________________________

The last bell rang and I was more ecstatic than ever about going home. I hurried across the parking lot to get to my car when suddenly a black van with tinted windows parked right in front of me.

 I circled around the car as a mysterious tall figure grabbed my arm, placed a piece of cloth on my head and forcefully took me inside of the black van.