Preface - Can't Go Back

I felt the Nix occasionally, but Scott always pulled it back. The worst were the dreams though. It was like my evil alter ego knew that it could no longer rear its ugly head and torment those around me so instead tormented me through by subconscious self when I was at my weakest.

They were your basic nightmares. Maiming, torturing and killing everyone I love, you know, everyday kind of stuff. Hint, hint… sarcasm. They came every night and every night Scott would stop them. I don’t know how, but I knew it was him. The nightmares would be replaced by fond, happy memories that seemed to chase the Nix away like my happiness was its worst nightmare. I think Scott somehow gave me the feeling of happiness and laughter and I somehow chose the memories on my own because not all of them were him and me or him me and Stiles some were of me and Derek others of me and Isaac. Memories of me and my parents on holidays when I was younger. The occasional memory of Matt came through before he… well you know.

But one thing I couldn’t stop thinking about was this man. I had no idea who he was and he dressed in old clothes. He was about Peter’s age and quite handsome, but he never said anything. He would just stand back and observe in my nightmares and sometimes in real life. Like a dark angel watching my every move, but it wasn’t my every move, it was the Nix. Whenever I felt that darkness within me creeping in he would appear. He would watch in my nightmares… like a ghost. I referred to him as the Man in the Shadows not knowing his real name. No one else could see him though although I did tell them about him. Stiles liked to refer to him as Creepy Invisible Man.

Isaac had kept his word and I spoke to him on Skype whenever I could. He seemed like he was enjoying himself and I was happy for him. He deserved it. Scott on the other hand was still finding a way to get over Allison. No one blamed him of course. If it was Derek then I would probably still be a wreck. Speaking of, he was still missing, but we now had a lead on him and were on our way to save the day… as always.

Deputy Parrish, aka Jordan, I still hadn’t figured out. I wasn’t sure if he was supernatural or not or if he knew anything at all. He said he was drawn, but that could have just been a coincidence.

Ethan had left, not wanting to be in town anymore after Aiden’s death, but he left as our friend not enemy which I think he appreciated and Aiden would have as well. I wasn’t sure where Lydia was at with Aiden’s death. She never mentioned it, but I knew she didn’t like how they had ended things.

Danny. Well Danny was a complete mystery. I never had the chance to yell at him for knowing everything and not telling us although I did enjoy yelling at Jackson, who I never found out if he was the one to tell Danny everything, but who else would? Danny had also left. Like vanished. He wasn’t in school and as far as I knew he wasn’t in Beacon Hills.

Malia was now one of the pack… kind of. Scott was teaching her everything he could with Stiles’ help and her and Stiles had a strange relationship going. They weren’t dating, but they were more than friends with benefits and in a weird way they were exclusive. I liked her though… she had a badass spunk to her. Would she leave us all for dead to save her own skin? Yes, but we were working on that.

Kira and Scott weren’t dating and I don’t think Scott was ready for anything after Allison, but Kira seemed like she would wait. I liked that and I kind of felt like she would be good for Scotty.

I was still living at Scott’s place and papers had been filed to make Melissa McCall and Sheriff Stilinski my legal guardians until I turned 18. I did spend quite a bit of time at Stiles’ house of course, a lot of which was spend trying to catch Malia up on math homework, but when her and Stiles exchanged this hormonal teenage glance I was out the door quicker than you could say Deucalion.

I hadn’t got any more information from Peter about this Selene hunter chick, but that wasn’t our main concern. Finding Derek was. Right now we were on our way to Mexico to save Derek. Well no, we were in Mexico… at a rave that the Calavera’s of all people were hosting in hopes of finding Derek. We had found bullet shells at the loft with the Calavera’s skull engraved on the side, the Spanish hunters that Breadon and I had saved Peter and Derek from weeks ago. Stiles and Lydia were making their own way in, but Scott, Malia, Kira and I were already inside dancing with the crowd trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Was it a good plan? No it was not.

In fact it was possibly the craziest, stupidest and most suicidal plan we had come up with. Not only did we not know if Derek was here for certain, but we were completely surrounded my hunters and not hunters like the Argent’s were hunters. These guys lived for the code and if we somehow managed to make a deal something told me we would have to go through a bit of pain to get it. When I told Peter what we were up to he simply said we were crazy and told me send him a postcard from Hunter Central.

We didn’t tell The Sheriff or Melissa the plan knowing they would hate it so Stiles simply blurted out “We’re going camping.”

Yeah, like that won’t bite us in the ass when we get back, Stiles.