32

"Can you actually believe them? I mean they won't even let him explain for himself." I shake my head and look down at my paper. Chelsea and I are sitting in the library and working on our papers about Fashion History during World War Two. I'm writing down hard every word but not from excitement but from anger. Ever since I got a hold of myself after my mental breakdown from my fight with my parents the other day I decided to not feel sorry for myself anymore. But all the anger is tormenting my mind and all I want to do is do everything I can to piss off my parents.

I shake it off me. "Anyway, what do you say are the main points in this article?" I scoop the article over to Chelsea. I look at her to find an answer on her face but she gives me a worried look. "Chels, is there something wrong?" I put my pencil down next to my book.

She hesitates for a moment. "Shelby, I confronted Garret the other day. After football practice." She looks down for a moment and looks back at me. "He told me Landon and his friends were the ones who beat him and Jeff and Mason up."

I shake my head in confusion. "What? That's absurd. Landon would never do that. Garret's lying." I hold up my hand to stop her.

"Shelby, I'm being serious here. Garret's your friend. You've known him longer than Landon."

"So?" I'm not sure where she going with this. I close my book and put it in my bag. Chelsea follows me out to the hallway.

"So... Don't you think you at least owe him a chance to tell you what happened? I mean, come on, Shelby. It's Garret we're talking about." She arches her brows at me like I'm being stupid. "Didn't you see them the other day, all covered in bruises?"

I wave her off and open my locker. "They're probably just from football practice. They get hurt all the time." I roll my eyes.

I close my locker and turn to see Landon and his friends enter the school. He doesn't see me so they just walk up the stairs. Toby throws his arm around Nat's shoulder and kisses her, while Ethan is trying to mimic something to Landon, making them all laugh. I smile at them.

I turn back to Chelsea. "I don't think we've got anything to worry about." I point at them. "See? Totally harmless." I grab my backpack and swing it over my shoulders. "Listen, can you cover for me again this night? Landon is finally taking me to his place." I smile with excitement.

"I don't know, Shelby. I don't really feel like covering for you anymore." Is she kidding me? "What if they choose to call or show up randomly at my house to see you? What am I supposed to do?" She opens her arms. "Tell them you've joined the school's boy scouts team?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Chels. It won't happen. I've been fooling them until now. I think you can survive one more night, okay? I'll just tell them that we got a study group session at Susie's and we'll be home late." I shrug my shoulders.

She looks reluctant for a few minutes. "Maybe you should take a break from Landon."

"What?"

"He's got you all caught up in this rebellion thing. Is he really worth it?" She mentions him like he's a disease.

"I thought you were my friend, Chelsea!" She flinches, obviously surprised by my voice like me.

"I am! That's why I'm telling you this." She looks worried at me. "You're not yourself anymore, Shelby. You skipped school to hang out with Landon. You go against your parents' wishes." She shakes her head at me.

"Like you wouldn't have done that if you had a boyfriend?" I'm aware that I'm not doing any less harm for our friendship here by telling her off. "Look, Chelsea. I love Landon so much. If you had a guy like him, you would know what I'm going through."