5

It's Monday morning and I'm looking in my closet, trying to figure out what to wear. I decide to put on a dark purple summer dress that goes just above my knees since the weather is still hot outside. I pull my hair up in a ponytail and put on some mascara. That'll do.

I touch my head, looking in the mirror. My head still hurts a bit from the accident at the party. Thank God, I didn't have a bruise. I spent all day in bed yesterday with a headache. I couldn't really lie down and cry in front of everyone at the party, especially not in front of Landon. I had to play it cool. My parents had a long talk with me at the dinner table yesterday, explaining how important it is to be careful and look out for each other at parties. It could have gotten a lot worse if it wasn't for Landon. I didn't tell them about the fight. I thought it was best to leave that one out. I just told them that I tripped on some stairs and hit my head. Luckily, they bought it.

*

School seems to go on forever. I'm usually not this tired. Chelsea and I walk to her locker. "So, I tried calling you yesterday. So did Garret. We were starting to get a bit worried about you." She says while she opens her locker.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I laid in bed all day with a big headache."

"Oh, maybe you should get that checked."

"No, I'm better now. Though it did hurt this morning. But I'm fine now."

Chelsea packs her backpack. "So, Saturday was pretty fun, huh?"

"Well, if you think seeing two guys fighting over something so ridiculous and unnecessary as something innocent like that, then yeah. What a blast," I say sarcastically.

"Hey, that guy knocked me down. I've got a big bruise on my butt." Chelsea touches her butt, making the guy, who's standing at his locker next to hers, look down at her.

"I'm sorry about that."

"But back to you. You had a knight in shining armor who saved you from getting hurt." I look annoyed at her, gesturing to my head. "Well, at least it didn't get any worse." She smiles insecurely.

"I guess you're right. It was so embarrassing. Like I haven't been more embarrassed in his company enough. I'm telling you, Chels. I wouldn't know what to say to him if he ever approached me again.

"Oh, come on, Shelby. Stop being so hard on yourself. He clearly came to your rescue 'cause he could see that you were in danger. If a guy didn't care about that then he wouldn't have done anything."

I guess she's right. After all, he did ask me if I was okay and looked a bit worried.

I look at my phone to see what time it is. "I got to go. I need to find some literature for my English assignment next week. Mrs. Teasly has been a huge bug from the very beginning of this school year. She actually told us if any of us got a D, we would get detention. Can you believe her?"

"Well, it is Mrs. Teasly we are talking about, right? Anyway, why are you so worried? You never get anything under B. Don't let her frighten you," she says, squeezing my arm.

"Yeah, sure." I wave her goodbye and head for the library. There aren't that many people here. I go straight for the English Lit section. I walk slowly down by the bookshelves, reading the titles. I already find three books that might work and grab them. My head is too focused on not missing any other possible titles, I don't realize that someone's standing right in front of me before it's too late. I bump my head into the person's back, dropping my books on the floor.