10

Friday afternoon everybody joins the pep rally before the big game tonight. I'm sitting outside on the benches at the football field with Chelsea. The temperature is still warm enough to be outside without a coat on. The principal gives a speech about how this is going to be another terrific school year with hopes and dreams to come true and so on.

I see Garret and the rest of the team standing behind him, wearing their jerseys. After the speech, the principal call out their names, Kylie and the rest of the cheerleaders to their dance, and the captain of the football team, who appears to be a guy named Mike, also gives a short speech. So much new to find out. After the rally, we go and find Garret, Mason, and Jeff to wish them one last good luck with the game before we head out. Kylie walks directly over to Jeff and starts making out with him. Clearly, they are a thing now. Leaving them be, Chelsea and I hug Garret and Mason.

"Good luck tonight, guys," I say.

"Thanks, Shelby," Garret says. "It means a lot that you'll be there." He looks at me for a moment and then looks at Chelsea. "Both of you." He quickly adds.

"So, there'd be something I've wanted to ask you, Shelby," Garret says.

"Oh, what's up?" I ask.

"Will you wear my jersey tonight during the game? It's supposed to bring the team good luck."

"I thought it was the players' girlfriends who were supposed to wear them." I may not have been to every single game or know the rules but I've definitely seen many football groupies walking around school, wearing their boyfriends' jerseys to know that.

"Yeah, but since I don't have one and you're one of my closest friends, I couldn't think of anyone more perfect for the job than you."

I smile at him. I notice Chelsea chuckling beside me. I hope she doesn't feel left behind.

"Then I'll be happy to do you the honor," I say. Garret looks a bit relieved. He hands me his jersey and looks at Mason.

"So, what about you, Mason? Who's your lucky charm tonight?" Chelsea asks.

"Aw, beautiful. You want to be my lucky charm tonight?" Mason asks Chelsea and puts his arm around her shoulder.

"Um, I think I'll pass." She shoves him away.

"Oh, come on. It would be perfect. You, Shelby, and Kylie supporting us three at the game," Mason says and looks at Jeff and Kylie, who are still eating each other faces.

"Come on, Chelsea. This is your time to do something that I'm doing as well," I say.

"Okay, okay. Hand me your jersey," she says. I think I see a hidden smile. Maybe she was just trying to play it cool.

Mason hands her his jacket and smile at her. Huh? Chelsea and Mason? Maybe that could be something. I just don't hope that that leads me to be with Garret. I love Garret as a friend but as a boyfriend? I haven't really thought about that.

"And you're both going to Sabrina's afterward, right?" Garret asks.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," I say sarcastically. Chelsea rolls her eyes at me.

"And it's going to be awesome," Chelsea says.

Garret doesn't look convinced but doesn't say anything about it. "Cool. Well, I'll see you after the game." Garret waves at us and walks away with the rest of the team.

*

After a couple of hours, Chelsea and I are getting ready for the game at my house. We paint our school's logo and the boy's jersey numbers on our cheeks and put on the boys' jerseys. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. What if Garret gets the wrong idea? But again, he knows that we're just friends. Besides, he wouldn't be interested in a girl like me. He's a football player. Aren't they like supposed to be with cheerleaders?