Chapter 15

Jake's POV

I watched her intently. The way her eyes lit up when she spoke of something she loved, how her lightly curled hair flowed with the wind. How every move she made was graceful to me. I smiled as she walked away from me and headed to the other side of the ballroom. Her dress swaying with her hips and the lighting falling perfectly on her. She sat down with a bunch of girls and started conversing with them. I saw them glance at me a few times but the glances ended after a couple of minutes. 

I walked over to the bar and order some whiskey and took the shot. I smiled as it burned my throat, but it was a good burn. My eyes scanned the room for her, she was no longer at the table full of girls, or even in the room. I ordered an other shot, downed it and walked out to the patio. 

She was sitting on a bench, feet dangling over the dark pond. The twinkle of the lights showed her reflection and a smile crept along my face. Everything about her drove me crazy but I cannot see life without her anymore. I sat beside her and she rested her head on my shoulder, and took my hand. I gently kissed her forehead and stayed there in silence.

She looked up at me with watery eyes. "Do you think once he's back he'll find her?"

I sighed and shrugged, "I don't know babe. He's a weird character and I feel she's trying to avoid the pain. But I know it's hit her harder than she'll ever admit." Zoe nodded and looked back down at the water. She squeezed my hand and I felt a hot tear hit my pant leg. 

"Hey now, don't cry. He'll be back and she'll be happier than ever.' She shook her head, "That's the problem, he'll be back and I don't think she'll ever be ready to see his face again... If she ever does." I wiped away some of her tears and kissed her nose. "He truly loved her, he's just trying to protect her. I know it's a weird way to show it, but I truly believe that is why he did it." 

"I know she's hurting and I can't do anything about it because her sunshine isn't in walking distance and he won't communicate with her." 

I sighed and pulled her closer to me. We continued to sit there in silence just thinking of everything she's going through and how he might feel of it.