Chapter 11

I walked into Samuel's apartment without thinking about knocking. Jake was passed out on the couch, hair a mess and only in sweatpants. I rolled my eyes and giggled to myself a little then conitinued to walk to Samuel's room.

The door was closed, but a light was on. I knocked lightly then entered wtihout being told to. Sam lay there eyes open and staring at the ceiling, not moving. I looked at him wondering if I dare to touch him, but he opened his mouth and began to speak.

"Jake, mate. I understand that you're worried about me and all, but honestly, I really need my space. She's not answering my call, and I guess I ruined something good, but let me think this through before I go mad. And I know what you re thinking, no, I will not go talk to her until she comes to me saying she is ready to have a long discussion about what happened last night and what information, that was probably the utter most bullshit, I was given. Okay mate? Can't you understand just that little bit of privacy?" His voice trailed off and I just stood there, it took him awhile to get the courage to speak again.

He started to speak and sit up at the same time, "Jake really I wi-" He stopped and looked straight into my eyes, "Rayley, I thought you were ignoring me..." I nodded a bit and looked around his room.

"I was, but I'm not that much of a bitch to just upright and never talk to you again because some girl was at your door."

He looked around the room, suddenly not interested in making eye contact with me anymore. "You know what she said was true, right?"

I looked at the ground then at his golden locks of hair. "I figured as such."

I walked over to the bed and sat on the end. He was fiddling with his thumbs refusing to look at me. He began to tell me the whole entire deal with Mallory that I heard once bfore that morning. He paused and looked at the wall then intomy eyes.

"Rayley, listen. I know that we had something going for a bit and that it really hurt you to have to find out that way of my intentions. But I was informed of something life changing after you left, whether beter or worse, I will not know until I go back home for a couple of weeks. And until I get back, I think we need to.. um.." He trailed off, his eyes started to fill with tears and I could see he was biting them back. "i think we don't need to be us until I get back, okay?"

He looked back down at his thumbs and waited for my response. I sighed heavily and nodded.

"If that is what you wish, I will leave you be." I felt my heart shatter into pieces, and I knew he was feeling the same. I got off the bed and headed for the door, as I walked out I could of sworn I heard him tell me that he loved me, but I was probably just imagining it. I walked out of the apartment and building itself and went down to my car. I drove to the nearest soccer field and parked.

My head hit my steering wheel and for the first time in a long time, I pitied myself. I cried until I only saw black mascra running from my eyes down my cheeks. It took me at least fifteen minutes to collect myself once again.

Once I was sobbed tearlessly, I checked my phone. I had a message from Drew.

Coach DrEw:

Hey now, you know you cannot beat me at soccer and probably never will be able to, accept it. I am exceptional in al aspects of life. But I will still play a match with you. My plane lands at 2pm on Monday, see you then? ;)

PS. You're lucky I gave you my number, Miss Michaels.

Rayley:

Oh, so you're okay with openly admitting you fancy me?

And please explain to me, Mr. "Exceptional in All Aspects of Life" just how you are exceptional in all aspects of life. I have a very well educated theory that you are a major loser and a girl, that just happens to be 7 years younger than you, can undermine your authority. Rethink your life. ;)

I put my phone away and grabbed the soccer ball that was in my passenger seat.

I slowly got out of my car and walked to the field. I took a deep breath and started dribbling down the field, faking and calling passes as if it were a real game. But it wasn't. I was alone. I stopped at the goal and sighed. Looking down at my feet, I took a shot and made it with ease. A smile formed on my face and I felt someone else's eyes on me. I looked all around me, but found nothing.

Feeling a bit uncomfortable, I went back to my car and started the engine. I rested my head on the steering wheel and sobbed. I never thought it would hurt to lose someone so close to you. I dont understand why I cared so much, we'd been together a little over a month.

I picked my head up off the steering wheel and wiped my tears away. I drove off and into town.

~~~

I pulled into the Hooters parking lot and got out. I walked up to the doors and entered, I was soon greeted by a peachy bleach blonde.

"Hi! Welcome to Hooters! How many?" She smiled.

I looked at her and smiled a bit, "Actually, I was wondering if I could apply for a job."

She nodded, "Yeah, of course! Let me go get Rick!"

She turned and walked away, a small bounce in her step.

I must've been standing there for five minutes before Rick came to talk to me.

"Hi, you must be the girl wanting to apply?" He cracked a small smile.

I nodded and held out my right hand, "That's me. I'm Rayley."

He took my hand and shook it. "Hello Rayley, I'm Rick. Follow me to a more quieter place?"

I nodded, the place was pretty busy but it was Friday night and a game was on. I followed him out to the empty patio that over looked the ocean.

"So Rayley, why do you want to work here?"

I looked at him, "I've always loved the food here since I was little and all the girls were always nice, and wanted to be a Hooters' girl."

He nodded and wrote some things down, we continued to talk and converse.

"Okay, you seem like a perfect fit and we really need an extra set of hands. You have the job. You'll start in a week on Monday."

"Thank you, sir." I smiled and nodded. He was taken aback when I called him sir and not Rick, he nodded and sent me on my way.

I drove home and parked in my spot. I looked over and noticed Sam's jeep was gone. I sighed and walked up to my apartment. Before I opened the door I turned and walked to Sam's. The door was opened, as usual so I walked in. The apartment was half empty, my heart dropped as I walked his side of the space and walked into his room. All that was left was his unmade bed and a letter on his dresser.

I walked over and saw the letter was addressed to me.

Rayley,

I'm sorry I had to leave so soon. I will call you when things settle. Please do not engage in anything too stupid. I will be back as soon as I possibly can. If Mallory is to make any communication with you, please act as if you do not know me.

Do not plan on seeing me again before the end of Christmas Break. I wish I could tell you everything, but I cannot.

Best wishes,

Samuel x

Tears fell on the paper and I held it to my chest. I fell onto his bed and burried myself in the sheets. His smell was everywhere.

I had laid there for an hour, drifting in and out of sleep.

I was startled when my phone rang. I looked at the screen.

In coming call from "Coach DrEw"

I rolled my eyes and answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ray." I heard the mix of Texas and the UK in his accent.

"Yes?"

"Can you come pick me up from the airport?"

"Sure. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

I hung up the phone and walked out of the apartment. I got in my car and drove off to the airport.