Chapter 16

Sorry for the major delay in posting the next chapter! I was really busy. Anyway, I hope you like it and I still promise to dedicate my chapters to you if you are a loyal reader and have identified yourselves to me. ;) That's a promise! Anyway, there's a picture of Cedric on the side! :)

Chapter 16

                Troy was stunned. How come he or Dahlia had never guessed that her father was a magician too? And Dahlia’s mother... why hadn’t she known that her husband was evil? Or maybe Dahlia’s father had had the correct magical genes and Dahlia’s mother had been mortal.

                Troy jerked back to reality at the sound of guns clicking.

                “You’re under arrest,” snapped a police officer.

                “What for?” Troy demanded, still shocked into immobility.

                “For blowing up Mr.McLean’s home,” the officer retorted, pulling out a set of handcuffs.

                Troy heard a snap and spun around. Tamarak had brought a police officer to the ground and judging by the snap, had broken some of the bones in his body.

                Tamarak lunged forwards.

                “No, Tam!” shrieked Sapphire.

                Too late. A police baton swung sideways and Tamarak crumpled to the ground. Sparks of electricity shot up his backside.

                 Guns were trained on all seven of them, including Dahlia and Tamarak who lay on the ground. Dahlia had been knocked unconscious by the dart and Tamarak who had been electrified.

                “Raise your hands above your head. Don’t move!” snapped the police officer.

                “Well, make up your mind. Which is it to be?” Troy asked.

                “Don’t be cheeky,” the police officer retorted. “Raise your hands above your head!”

                Troy raised his hands. With his powers rendered helpless, there was nothing he could do, even if he had the nerve to do anything. Deep in his heart, he knew that he was a coward, unable to attack the mortals who had them at gunpoint.

                “What about us?” Kayla demanded. “We weren’t there. Let us go!”

                She gestured to all of the others apart from Dahlia and Troy. They had been there with Helen, Ella and Olive, the only magician witnesses to the explosion.

                Mr.McLean smiled. “He attacked a police officer,” he snapped, pointing at Tamarak. “And the rest of you are guilty by association.”

                “She’s six!” protested Sapphire, pointing at Luna. “She’s way too young to be arrested.”

                “There’s something called juvenile court,” Mr.McLean retorted. “Handcuff them!”

                The police officers moved forward obediently. They locked metal handcuffs around the magicians’ wrists and ankles. Then they were divided into two groups and thrown into two different helicopters. The officers split up too and Mr.McLean went with Dahlia, Troy and Kayla.

                The entire helicopter ride was not that pleasant. For one, they were rolling around on the base of the craft, with nothing to hold on to. If the doors slid open, they would topple in infinite space.