thirty one

guess I kinda liked the way you numbed all the pain
now the day bleeds into nightfall,
and you're not here to get me through it all
i let my guard down, then you pulled the rug,
i was getting kinda used to being someone you loved
——————

"Finn?" Jane called in, already up the first stair as she turned around to face the two, holding onto the banister for extra balance.

"Hi Jane, thanks again for dinner."

"That's no problem sweetheart, are you staying the night?" She asked sweetly, Finn noticed that she had a glass of water in the other hand that wasn't keeping her balanced. The question made him nervous - he hoped to god his cheeks didn't flush a dark red before he nodded slowly.

"If that's ok with you?"

Jane nodded, "of course it is, just make sure you turn out the living room light when you make your way up."

"Will do, thanks again." Finn said, sitting up slightly as his back started to give out - nearly groaning out loud remembering that he had college the next day. He watched Jane walk up the stairs before looking down at the small girl occupying his lap.

Finn looked over at Millie as he watched her silently on the couch, her legs hung over his and his hand was occupied in her hair as she asked him ever so shyly to play with it. He obviously obliged. Her neck was slightly bent and it looked uncomfortable, so Finn checked the time and realised it was 12:34am. He shook her body lightly, moving a small strand of hair out of her face after he sat admiring her for a while. How small little breaths blew out of her nose and small, featherlight snores escaped her throat.

"Millie." He shook her again. She let out a groan, pushing away his hand.

"Millie, get up."

"No." She replied back, eyes still closed as she was lulled to sleep by pieces of her hair twiddling within his fingers.
"We'll just stay down here."

Finn smirked, ready to play with her as he lifted her legs off of his lap as he stood. One of her eyes pried open.

"Well, I'll have to go then because I'm not sleeping in a couch."

Millie then forced herself to sit up, not liking the idea of her staying without him for the night. She sent him a small glare as her chin tilted downwards.

"Asshole." She whispered, walking up the stairs and causing him to follow on after her like a small, detached shadow.

Finn's arms stayed out, she stumbled up the stairs slightly as he could immediately tell that she wasn't fully awake yet as she threw herself down onto the bed, not bothering to take off her shoes or put the blanket over her. One more thing that Finn was willing to do for her.

He grabbed her ankles softly, pulling her shoes off as he carefully placed them on the floor next to her, he didn't want to wake her or Jane up for that matter. He then lifted the blanket over her, allowing her to let out a soft, snug sigh.

He took a moment to look around the room, white wallpaper with small bluebells wrapped around the wall as a white dressing table sat in the corner with a slim drawer underneath. Small, while fairy lights hung over the mirror, giving the room a more feminine touch - and because when Millie was younger she was afraid of the dark. A wardrobe sat opposite. It was the room Millie deserved to have had her main room and not just on certain weekends.