If you want to be trusted, be honest

-Two months later -

Severus walked in an unusual, hesitant manner to his office, which he entered thoughtfully shortly thereafter. The room was deserted, but he could clearly hear the voice of his son, who seemed to be having a lively conversation with his mother. A timid smile tugged on Severus' lips when he heard the enthusiasm in his son's voice. He steeled his nerves and approached the door leading to their private rooms.

"And he ran and ran and suddenly he turned around abruptly and swung himself on his broom before he flew away into the night." Christopher retold the story that Michael had already told every inhabitant of Hogwarts at least twice.

Julie laughed and ruffled Christopher's hair. Severus smiled as he leaned against the door frame and watched his family. Christopher sat on his bed and Julie joined him while she placed a book on the bedside table. It was Saturday morning and Severus had just returned from Michael's office, informing his colleague that the day had finally arrived for him and his son to talk about the matters that Severus had avoided so far. Severus was yet undecided on how much he wanted to reveal to Christopher.

After much thought he had finally decided that a spontaneous conversation without planning would be better than one that followed a certain protocol. After all, this was a conversation between father and son, not a council meeting at the Ministry, or a teachers conference at Hogwarts. The course as well as the outcome of this conversation was unpredictable. Yet, here he was, standing in his son's door, ready to finally face the unavoidable.

Severus cleared his throat and was surprised when he remained unnoticed by both, his son and wife, who continued to be oblivious of his presence. Christopher embraced his mother briefly before he got up to fetch another book from the small shelf at the other side of his room. He stopped abruptly when he finally became aware of his father's presence.

"Hey, dad, are we going to watch the Quidditch game this afternoon?" He inquired excitedly.

Severus gave his son a smile and nodded. "Of course." He answered and thought; 'Provided, you still wish my companionship after our conversation has taken place.'

Severus' mood turned bitter and he tried for a neutral expression as Christopher noticed the change in his father's mood.

"But now, if you're still interested in it, we shall talk." Severus offered more willingly then he had anticipated.

Christopher looked at his father, slightly confused. "What should we talk about?" He inquired, before he furrowed his brow. "Did Filch complain to you because of his stupid cat?"

Severus glanced at Julie before raising his eyebrow questioningly, fixing his gaze on his son.

"What have you done to the cat again?" Severus asked.

Christopher's mouth dropped open as he understood that he had just betrayed himself.

"Um, me...um nothing...um, nothing bad, dad, it's just...the damn cat followed me wherever I went" He complained, sounding desperate. "So...I..." He paused and shrugged.

Severus' eyebrows arched even higher when his son paused.

"Well, I...um...why does Filch always know that it was me?" Christopher inquired, sounding frustrated. "And how does he communicate with his silly cat anyway?"

Severus crossed his arms over his chest and looked a little amused. "Firstly, you are the only one that dares to pester Miss Norris, secondly, who knows, maybe Miss Norris is an Animagus."

Christopher's eyes widened, apparently the boy had never considered this possibility before. This thought amused Severus.

"Or, who knows, maybe I'm an Animagus and spy on you secretly."