I'm Changing

- In the summer -

"I never thanked you," she whispered into the crook of his neck.

Severus turned and nudged her with his nose, encouraging her to go on.

"In the beginning ..." she said with a sigh. "I have never thanked you for being there for me when I was feeling unwell. And that was, well... the first two months were the worst." Julie looked at Severus apologetically and enjoyed the gentle smile that graced his lips.

"That goes without saying," he replied as he bent to her, kissing her swollen lips, jaw-line and throat. He nibbled at the soft, hot skin that tasted slightly salty, and traced his tongue over it, eliciting a soft moan from her lips.

"And I never thank you," he said softly, almost inaudibly, while his fingertips traced across the sensitive skin of her waist.

Julie looked at her husband questioningly and snuggled closer to him as he placed a gentle kiss on her temple.

"You gave in to my wish."

The questioning expression of his wife prompted Severus to explain further. "You stayed away from the lessons. Thank you."

"Oh, that," Julie muttered tiredly, then groaned. "I'd rather be in class. Instead I have to endure the presence of Miss Norris and Argus every day," she complained, rolling her eyes.

"But there are but a few students who receive detention nowadays," Severus argued.

Julie scoffed, "Oh, yeah. And why is that so? Because no one really wants to be near Argus," she answered. "And you, no, all of you can enjoy the lessons, while I must spend the afternoons with Argus and his c.. Miss Norris. I have no choice. I'd rather have a hundred naughty students than this furball and its caretaker," she grumbled against his chest.

Severus stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head. "But it's safer," he said gently. Severus knew that Julie was not pleased with the arrangement, but when he'd recently offered her not to pursue her duties any longer, she had immediately rejected his 'absurd' idea.

Julie lay silent in his arms and Severus continued to stroke her back as he thought about her situation. Although he often joked about her present predicament, he took her regular complaints very seriously. At least her duties at Hogwarts would soon end. She would be very busy next year, he thought, pulling her closer, pressing her growing belly against his.

"Well, at least I'm not dying of boredom as I have something to do in the late afternoon," she said.

"And in the evening and ... afterwards," Severus added in a husky tone.

Julie giggled, "There was a time when I thought you would never say something so ambiguous."

"Oh, really? Well, I'm full of surprises," he promised, rubbing his nose against her temple.

"I am aware of that by now." Julie let out a deep sigh. "We should get up," she said softly and rolled on her back.

"Hm, I know," Severus replied and shifted closer to her. His hand brushed gently over Julie's small baby bump and then came to rest over her belly button. Slowly the crease formed between his eyebrows and finally he looked at her questioningly.

"Originally, I had a different plan, but now I think it would be better if we were spending our summer vacation to make some chan - ges. Well," he frowned deeply, "let's call them ... improvements. We should make some improvements at home."

His voice was quiet and his words deliberate, but Julie had noticed the unease that resonated clearly in his voice. "What do you want to improve?" she asked with a smile, her fingers gently stroking his collarbone.