A lesson with unforeseen consequences

The way to Slytherin common room was shorter than Julie had expected. Snape stopped abruptly in front of a stone wall and spoke the password.

"Pure-blood."

A door opened and Snape walked down the passage which lead to Slytherin's common room. Julie followed him wordlessly. They entered the common room and she looked around and her eyes fell on the professor who stood silently in front of her. His gaze was piercing and cold. With Snape's unexpected visit the students immediately became dead silent.

"Nott! Come here!" Said Snape.

His eyes did not leave Julie a single time while he was waiting for the prefect. Julie was absolutely certain that no more than a few seconds had passed before a student walked up to the Professor.

"Professor Snape."

Snape's gaze shifted to the student before he turned slowly toward her.

"Miss Nott..."

Jean swallowed hard as Snape glared at her

"Don't you dare to let me wait a g a i n!"

Julie watched with concern the interaction between the Professor and the student. Snape turned slowly back toward Julie while he spoke to the prefect.

"This is Miss Abbott. She will complete her education at Hogwarts. Miss Nott, you are from now on responsible for her."

Jean nodded and Snape glanced at Julie before he left the common room. Julie's gaze followed his flowing robes until the door at the end of the passage had closed. She winced as Jean patted her on the shoulder.

"That's Professor Snape. He is, well, quite grumpy."

"The bad news is that he is always so bad-tempered." Said a dark haired boy.

"Hi, I'm Amycus. Amycus Finnigan."

He reached out to shake Julie's hand and another student joined them.

"Yes, but he can be even worse. I am Kevin Pettigrew."

Julie shook many hands until Jean finally grabbed her by the arm. She brought her into a small room in which three beds stood.

"Here's where you'll sleep." Said Jean.

She looked at Julie attentive and smiled understandingly.

"Don't worry. Professor Snape has not the best reputation. But you have an advantage over many other students."

Julie looked at her hopefully.

"You are a Slytherin." Jean grinned but Julie rolled her eyes and sighed heavily.

As Julie said nothing, Jean continued.

"This is the last year for you. Am I right?"

Julie nodded and Jean sat down on one of the beds.

"For me too. Come here and tell me about yourself. After that I will explain you everything you need to know."

Snape sat at his desk and flipped through the files which Dumbledore had given him. Miss Abbott had achieved excellent results. In practically every subject. Her results in potions from the sixth year towered above even his own from this period. Snape was almost impressed. Contrary to his expectations, she seemed to be intelligent. However, there was a subject which was conspicuous. Defense against the dark arts. In theory, she had received the best grades. However, it was quite different in practice. And in this subject the practice was the most important part.
Snape's forehead was set in deep wrinkles as he scanned the results of the practical tests. She had absolutely failed each of them. How was it possible that she had been admitted to the seventh year? He wondered. Her grades had been perfect since the first school year. But halfway through the fifth school year, there was a change. She had often skipped classes and her absences were numerous - in defense against the dark arts.
If she believed that she could skip his classes, she was wrong. He would ensure that she would take part in each of his classes. She would not just take notes. Miss Abbott would practice just like any other student did. Snape closed the files and pushed them to the side in order to correct his students homework. Before he began he looked over to the window. Clouds moved across the dark sky and the new moon was visible.