Chapter 30

Maedbh’s POV

Soon enough, the date of the audition is on us.

“Hello. I’m Harry Styles. I’m 16. I work in a bakery.” He introduces himself on the stage. I grin, shaking my head slightly at his introduction. Seriously Harry? I work in a bakery? I tune back in when I hear Simon ask him what he’s planning on singing.

“Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder” he says, casting a glance towards the curtain where we are all waiting, his eyes landing on me. I feel my heart flip and grin back at him as he turns his attention back towards the judges as they give him the go ahead. As the judges start giving him his feedback, I can see the hope grow in his eyes. He knows he’s gotten through the second that Simon started praising him. When he gets the two yes’s he needs to get through his face splits into a smile and hurries off the stage.

“You’re through” I yell excitedly, throwing my arms around him as soon as he’s clear of the stage. “I told you! I knew you could do it!” I say as he spins me in a circle with a laugh. I release him as his mom comes over to hug and congratulate him.

“We’ll have to have a party tonight” she says. “To celebrate. You can sing for everyone”

“Mom, we aren’t supposed to tell anyone,” he says with a laugh.

“Rubbish” she says with a grin and he doesn’t disagree, never passing up an opportunity to have a party. “Go call all your friends. Tell them to meet us at our house” she says and he nods pulling out his phone and walking a little ways off to start phoning everyone. We get back to the house just before people start arriving. Anne rushes inside to order pizza and begin making some appetizers for the crowd as Harry starts greeting people who are quick to offer congratulations even without Harry telling them the good news. It was pretty obvious what the party was for. Half an hour later, the majority of the people are here and music is blasting.

“Congratulations man” Will shouts over the music, pulling Harry into a hug and patting him on the back. “Looks like we’ll need to find a new lead singer huh?” he asks jokingly when he releases him. Harry laughs, nodding his head slightly, slipping his arm back around my waist.

“I still need to make it through boot camp” he shouts back.

“You’ll do that, no problem” Luke chimes in. I stiffen slightly as I watch him walk up, joining the conversation before forcing myself to relax. He’d been quite civil the past couple months but I still had trouble forgetting all that had happened. Especially if he appeared unexpectedly like that.

“Thanks mate” Harry says with a wide smile.

“Harry, Will” Haydn calls from besides the make shift stage Anne and Gemma had created by pushing the couches away from the wall forming a small opening. The two boys look over at him as he gestures them over. “One last performance of White Eskimo yea?” he says. The two boys nod their heads with a grin and Harry presses a quick kiss to my temple before they hurry over to where Haydn was setting up, leaving Luke and I there alone.

“Incredible huh? A regular lad from Holmes Chapel being on the X-Factor?” Luke says breaking the silence. “Although I suppose Harry’s never been a regular lad. I always knew he’d be destined for greatness” he muses. I glance up at Luke, seeing him watching the lads set up the microphones. “You know what you have to do right?” he asks looking down at me. My eyebrows knot together in confusion.

“What are you talking about?” I ask uneasily. Where was he going with this?

“You have to break up with him” he says. I choke back a laugh. Of course. He’d use this as an opportunity to try to break us up.