Chapter 5

Harry’s POV

After I got off work, I had headed over to Luke’s place. He was having a pool party and had asked White Eskimo to perform there. White Eskimo was the band a few of us had formed. We were all right, we knew a couple of songs but not that many. They had scheduled a couple of bands so we’d be able to enjoy the party also. We were planning on going second because I’d be a little late getting there from work and then I’d have to leave early because my mom insisted I be home for dinner with Mr Wakefield and Maedbh. I smile to myself as I think about later tonight. I have to admit; I didn’t mind that they were coming over as much anymore. She had really lightened up at work for a little bit today. I had seen a different side, a happier side. She had actually been smiling during the food fight.

“What you smiling about?” Luke asks with a grin walking over towards me, snapping me out of my reverie.

“Nothin” I say with a shrug. He raises an eyebrow at me suspiciously.

“Is it a girl?” he asks jokingly wriggling his eyebrows. I smirk slightly rolling my eyes at him. “It is, isn’t it!” he says realizing he struck on something. “Who is it? Is it Hannah? You know she’s always been all over you,” he asks prompting. I shrug my shoulders, not giving him an answer. Its not like I could tell him who it really was I had been thinking about. He’d flip out. He’d jump to some conclusion that I actually liked this girl. Which I didn’t. It was just one time in the Bakery. Nothing big.

I’m eventually saved from Luke’s pestering by Will, the drummer, calling me over for a sound check. We sang a couple of songs like Summer of 69 and Valerie. As we started performing, a couple of girls came over and started cheering for us. It caused me to smile. Having people cheering for you was wicked cool. We were always trying to find gigs in the hopes that someday we’d be able to make it big. So far the best we’d had was performing at a friend’s mom’s wedding. It wasn’t much, but it was a start. If we weren’t any good, she wouldn’t have hired us to perform.

When we finish our set, I stick the mike back on the stand and jump off the stage. A few girls come up to me and start gushing about how good I was, how much they love me. I grin, soaking up the attention. Hannah comes over and slips her arm through mine, latching on to me, looking up with a smile. The other girls freeze, as Hannah turns her attention to them. I don’t know what it is about girls, but they must have had some silent communication going on because the other girls excused themselves pretty quickly, claiming they needed to go get a drink or that they were going to go in the pool. Hannah leads me over to a lawn chair and sits me down on it. Only it was more like she pulled me over to the chair and pushed me down onto it. She sits across my lap and wraps her arm around my neck. I hesitate for a moment, unsure where to put my hands because she was wearing a pretty skimpy bikini and I really didn’t want her sitting here. Eventually I decide on just leaning back, supporting myself with my hands. I see a flash of annoyance in Hannah’s eyes that disappears so fast I’m not sure it was even there in the first place.

“You were great up there,” she coos running a hand over the collar of my shirt.

“Erm… thanks.” I mumble uncomfortably. I glance over at Will and Haydn where they were still packing up the equipment.

“Harry” Hannah says angrily, snapping me back to attention. “Were you even listening to me?” she asks with a pout.