Chapter 9

Harry’s POV

-Saw you and the nerd at the park-

I sigh as I read the text from Luke on my phone. I frown slightly, slapping the phone against my hand absent-mindedly as I debate on how to respond.

-Yea I was showing her around town- I finally reply.

My phone buzzes, letting me know he responded. –She fall for you yet? -

My mind flashes back over the afternoon. We had had fun. I definitely don’t think she hated me as much as she used to. But did she like me? I doubt it. I didn’t think I was her type. She wouldn’t fall for some lowly baker boy. She’d end up dating some boy she met at Uni who was just as smart as her.

-Not yet- I respond.

I toss my phone across the room so it lands on my bed. I was beginning to regret this whole situation more and more. Maedbh was actually a lot cooler than I had originally thought. She was different than most girls I knew: caring more about homework and her books than clothes and makeup. And she actually kept up with football even if she liked the wrong team. A lot of girls only pretended like they knew sports. She actually did. In other words, she was driving me crazy. I had no idea how to act around her. I couldn’t treat her like any other girl because she’d probably get offended and yet, I couldn’t help but want to get to know even more about her. I run a hand through my hair, messing up my curls, as I wonder why I’m stressing about this so much.

“Sounds like your having girl problems”

I jump at the sound of a voice and turn to see Gemma in the doorway, a grin on her face.

“How did you know that?” I ask incredulously.

“Well I didn’t for sure, but you just confirmed it” she says, a triumphant grin on her face. “Besides, what other reason could you have for pacing the floor with that expression?” she asks, raising an eyebrow. I pause looking around just now realizing that I had in fact been pacing. I let out a sigh and sit down on the edge of my bed.

“I don’t know what to do,” I say exasperatedly. “She’s…. different” I say unsure of how to phrase it. “And I did something that could potentially mess everything up” I add, not telling her the exact details because I know she would kill me.

“Well first of all, does she know about this thing that you did to mess it up? And second, if she isn’t like other girls, don’t treat her like one. Find out what she likes and dislikes, and make sure she knows that you are paying attention to the little things.” She says, sitting down next to me on the bed.

“She doesn’t know” I say shaking my head looking at the ground. “If she did, she would never talk to me again. She hated me to start with and if she knew, she’d think I was just like she always thought.” Gemma lets out a sigh and looks forward and I can practically see the wheels in her head turning.

“If you want my advice, I’d say don’t tell her. It would only make things worse. Fix whatever the problem is and then move on with it.”

“I don’t know if it’ll be that easy” I say frowning slightly.

“Never is little bro, it’s just something you have to deal with” she says with a smile standing up and heading towards the door. “I think I fulfilled my sisterly duties of the day so I’m going to head back to my room and get some work done” she says with a wave as she walks out. I sit there as I mull over what Gemma said. I didn’t know why I was so bothered by all this. She’s just a girl, I tell myself. We didn’t even have that much in common. Besides, she had quite the mouth. You’re falling for her, a small voice in the back of my mind whispered. No, I think, shaking my head. She wasn’t my type at all. But the thought persisted. Could it be true? Was I really falling for her?