Chapter 8

Maedbh’s POV

My hand tightens on the book I’m reading as I hear the irritating tap of a pencil someone was tapping on the table. I glare over the top of my book at some girl who was doing homework table over and was obviously struggling which was what was leading to the nervous tapping. I had come to the library to read, hoping it would be quiet during the last hour because I had a study hall. I normally would have just gone home but since I had agreed to let Harry show me around I was stuck here for the hour. The girl glances up and sees me glaring at her and her eyes narrow at me before she looks back at the paper, the tapping stopped. I smile and curl back up into the armchair opening the book again. I had finished the Lord of the Flies and was now reading Jane Eyre. I had always been a quick reader. Everyone was always surprised when I could be reading a book one day, then the next a whole new one. I sink back deeper in my chair as I lose myself in the plot line again.

I will never come to visit you when I am grown up; and if any one asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say…”

A cough interrupts me from my book and I look up, annoyance flashing over my face, and see the librarian there. “Oh sorry, I didn’t realize it was you” I say apologetically.

“It’s fine, I get annoyed when someone disrupts my reading also” she assures me kindly. “Unfortunately the library is closing now so I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” I look at her with confusion. The library closed half an hour after school let out. It couldn’t be closing now. I look over at the clock on the wall and see that it was, in fact, half an hour after school got out.

“No! I’m late!” I yell jumping up, stuffing my book into my backpack and racing out of the library. I practically sprint to the front doors and see Harry standing there, bobbing his head to his music. I let out a sigh of relief that he was still there and slow my approach to a walk. He looks up when I get close and sees me and pulls a headphone out of his ear.

“Thought you were going to be a no-show for a bit there,” he says with a grin.

“I’m sorry, I got caught up in a book”

“Yea, yea, the King of the Flies right?” he asks, looking pleased that he remembered the book I had been reading.

“Lord of the Flies, and no, I finished that one, I’m reading Jane Eyre now” I correct.

“Oh” he says with a frown. “Well are you ready to go?” he asks. I nod my head shifting my backpack on my back.

“I’d like to drop this off at home first if that’s ok” I say. He nods his head slipping the bag off my back and slinging it over his shoulder.

“I can carry my own bag” I start protesting. He cuts me off with a shake of his head.

“What kind of gentleman would I be if I let the lady carry her own bag?” he asks teasingly.

“What about your own bag?” I ask.

“It’s in my locker, it’s not like I was planning on doing homework tonight anyways” he says with a grin. I let out a sigh of defeat letting him carry my bag as we head down the street towards Uncle Simon’s house.