Chapter 21

Harry's POV

I leave the lunch room in better spirits. No, nothing had been resolved but she had sat down with me. That was a good sign. Besides, she had given me an idea. I wasn't sure how exactly it was going to work, or how even I'd be able to pull it off but I had something. After work, I quickly head home, determined to put my plan into motion. I come to a stop though when I see a lone figure sitting on the stoop.

"What are you doing here?" I ask and the person looks up, scrambling to his feet. He hesitates for a second and I take that moment to examine him. He seemed different. Almost defeated. The greenish bruise surrounding his eye and remnants of cut lip added to this look.

"You could have told me," he finally says. "If I'd have known..." he says trailing off.

"You would have mocked me also" I say flatly. He shakes his head.

"I just want what's best for you. You were-are my best mate" he says.

"She is what's best for me"

"Yea, I can see that now." He says with a nod sitting back down on the stoop. I pause for a split second before taking the seat next to him.

"What happened with us mate?" he asks after a moment. I shrug, thinking back and trying to pinpoint the moment when we'd started drifting.

"You changed" I finally reply. "It stopped being about having a laugh and more about what others thought of you."

"Not all of us have it as easy as you" he says and I look at him in surprise. "You've always had this air about you, like you're destined for something big. People are always drawn to you, haven't you noticed?" he asks. I shake my head as he continues. "When I first moved here, I was jealous. Everyone loved you but you never even seemed to realize. And then you were so content with letting me take the lead. I dunno. I suppose I always had a fear that you'd realize and then make all these friends and leave me behind." He says with a shrug looking at the sidewalk under his feet. I let his words turn around in my mind. I'd never thought of it like that. Never even realized people thought of me like that.

"I'd never leave you behind. You're my best mate" I say patting his back. He glances up at me, a grin on his face.

"So we're cool then?" he asks and I nod.

"We're cool" I say giving him a quick hug.

"This doesn't mean I like Maedbh though" he jokingly warns. I let out a laugh.

"Good, I don't want any competition" I reply with a grin. "It'll be hard enough to get her to like me again as it is." Luke winces slightly nodding his head.

"Sorry about that." He says and I shrug. "What are you going to do about it anyways?"

"Well, actually... I do have a plan," I say slowly. "Does your dad still have that old recording equipment?" I ask. Luke nods his head, a smile forming on his face. "Do you think I could borrow it?"

"Erm Hello" I say giving a small wave at the camera. It felt slightly awkward to be talking to it. "My name is Harry Styles and recently I did a really stupid thing that hurt someone I really care about. And so I was trying to think of how to fix things and thought I'd give this a go. So basically what I'm doing is I'm going to sing a song a day for as long as it takes to get her forgiveness. So yea. I'm going to start off with one that I think fits fairly well. This is I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz." I nod to Luke and he switches off the camera.

"Well done mate, now for the hard part" he says and I give a shaky laugh glancing back at the microphone and recording equipment. I force the thoughts of what would happen if she thought this was stupid, or never actually forgave me out of my head as I walk up to the mike getting in position. I glance at Luke who now had the camera in his hands standing by the computer ready to turn on the music. I take a breath before nodding at Luke to turn on the music.