Chapter 16

Maedbh’s POV

I feel my heart flutter nervously as I crack open the door, hearing the music echoing down the hall. I shouldn’t be nervous, Harry had said he’d told Luke and Luke had ok’d it. I have to admit, that had surprised me. From Harry’s expression when he had told me he had been surprised also. Maybe Luke was starting to get over his grudge against me? I put aside these thoughts as I look around the room for Harry. Not seeing him in the room, I follow the sound of the music into a larger room and my eyes settle on the curly haired boy off to the side on a makeshift stage. His eyes scan the audience as he sings and when his eyes settle on me he flashes me his dimpled smile. I give him a small smile, waving at him, as I watch him perform. I was amazed at how he could command the presence of the entire room. I lean against the wall, crossing my arms as I listen to his voice. He was good. I wasn’t that surprised by this though. Harry seemed like the type of person who would be good at just about anything he put his mind to. He just had an aura around him that drew people in. After a few songs, they take a break and Harry hops off the stage and makes a beeline to me.

“You made it!” he says enthusiastically. I smile nodding my head.

“C’mon, lets get you a drink” he says with a smile putting a hand on my back and leading me into the kitchen. When we get in, I see how crowded it is and pause slightly.

“Hang on” he says quietly before slipping between people. A few seconds later, he emerges holding two cups. “Here” he says handing me one, taking a sip from his. I take a drink, wincing at the burning feeling that slides down my throat. This was a lot stronger than I’d expected. I’d have to be careful with these or I’d end up embarrassing myself tonight.

“Are you sure you should be drinking?” I ask him teasingly as he takes another sip. “Might mess up your performance” He chuckles slightly.

“Most of the people here are to drunk to care” he replies. “Besides, if I have something to drink, I won’t worry about messing up” he adds cheekily. I laugh, taking another drink, beginning to feel the effects. It was nothing serious yet, I just felt myself loosening up. I look down at my cup, surprised to see it already half gone. I was drinking it faster than I thought.

“So what do you think so far?” Harry asks. I look back up at him, seeing a hopeful look on his face.

“You’re really good. You just seem to own the stage” I say. His eyes light up with happiness at my compliment.

“So do you think I’ll stand a chance?” he asks. My brow furrows in confusion until I realize he’s talking about his X-factor dream.

“Yea” I say with a smile. “I think you’ll do great.” His already large smile widens. We stand there silently for a few seconds and then Harry seems to realize we’re still standing in the kitchen.

“Do you want to maybe sit down or something” he asks, gesturing over his shoulder to the living room. I nod my head and we walk into the room.

“Erm I don’t think there’s any room” he says as the two of us pause awkwardly seeing two people full on making out on the couch. I shake my head, agreeing with him.