Chapter 13

WARNING!!!!! This chapter is very sad! I'm giving you a warning now so go get your box of tissues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maedbh’s POV

I can’t remember the trip to the hospital. It was all a blur. I know that Harry and Uncle Simon herded me to the car and we took off to the hospital. I think I was in shock. My mind was racing. Please let Caellum be ok, don’t let anything have happened to him. Harry kept trying to assure me that everything was going to be fine but by the tension in the air I knew he didn’t quite believe it himself. People weren’t called to the hospital in the middle of the night for anything. Uncle Simon didn’t know what was happening. He was just told that Caellum had taken a turn for the worse. I feel tears prick my eyes as it finally sinks in. I might lose him. My little brother. He couldn’t leave me; he was supposed to get better. Uncle Simon speeds to the hospital, blowing through stop signs. Before he even parks the car, I’m opening the door and stumbling out, breaking into a run as I race towards the entrance. I blow through the door, past the nurse’s station. She starts to protest but quickly gives up as catches a glimpse of the panic on my face. I hear footsteps behind me and guess Harry is close behind but don’t give it a second thought as my eyes scan the room numbers, looking for the familiar number. I come to a stop in front of his closed door. Can I really go through and open it? What happens if there’s an empty bed? Or even worse, a doctor unplugging the heart monitor. I’m not sure I could handle that. Harry comes to a stop beside of me, and sensing my distress takes my hand, opening the door for me. There was a doctor in there. I let out a strangled cry which causes him to turn around startled.

“Everything is fine” he assures me. Those words cause my knees to go weak in relief. I reflexively grab onto Harry’s arm for support.

“His heart rate spike for a while and he appeared to be going into cardiac arrest but we’ve got him stable now” the doctor explains. I’m barely listening at this point. All I knew was that Caellum was still alive. I let go of Harry’s arm and stumble over to the bed, kneeling on the floor beside his bed, grasping his hand desperately, the tears finally spilling out. I hear footsteps at the door and see Uncle Simon finally having caught up. The doctor motions for him to step outside so he can explain everything. Harry stands there uncertainly for a moment before walking over next to me. He rests a hand on my back as he looks down at Caellum lying across the bed.

“Harry, meet Caellum” I say my voice cracking. “Caellum, this is Harry”

“Hullo Caellum” Harry says softly. “It’s nice to meet you, Maedbh has told me so much about you. She really wants you to get better. She misses you a lot. Stay strong little guy”

When Harry starts talking to Caellum, the tears grow even stronger until they are streaming down my cheeks.

“Please Caellum” I choke out. “Please wake up.” Harry’s phone rings and he walks to the back of the room to take the call as the doctor and Uncle Simon come back in. I guess it’s his mom by the way he was talking to the person. He mentioned the hospital and that he was staying. The person on the other side of the phone seemed to be telling him to come home but he was adamant about staying. I turn my attention away from him to the doctor who was checking Caellum’s vitals again.

“The doctor said his brain activity has decreased from the cardiac arrest. They don’t know if he’ll ever wake” Uncle Simon says gently. I feel my throat tighten and I start shaking from crying. “The doctor asked me about taking him off life support”

“No!” I cry. “You can’t! It’s only been a couple months! He could still wake up!”

Uncle Simon looks at me sympathetically. “I told him that it was your choice” he says. I breathe out a sigh of relief as I look back at my brother. There was no way I’d let them kill him. Not if there was any degree of chance that he would wake. Harry hangs up the phone and walks back over to me.