Chapter 14

Harry’s POV

That weekend I spent practically every free moment at the hospital. Maedbh refused to leave Caellum’s side, often even falling asleep next to his bed. I hated seeing her like this. So broken, so vulnerable. Yet, I wasn’t going to abandon her there in her misery, I couldn’t. As soon as I had gotten off of work I had returned to the hospital, completely blowing off the plans I had made with Luke for that afternoon and had been here pretty much the whole weekend. I didn’t tell Luke where I was going because I knew if he found out about Caellum he’d use it to torture Maedbh. I knew it was just a matter of time before he stopped just ignoring her and turned to cruelty. He was just waiting for the “Operation Nerd” as he called it to finish before he moved on to that. Sometimes I wondered why I was mates with him but besides occasionally doing things like this he was a genuinely nice guy. He had been there for me when my parents split. He had always been like a brother to me so it always seemed fine to overlook some things he did. I let out a sigh as I glance over at Maedbh, once again asleep leaning against her brother’s bed asleep. I had to sort out this whole situation with Luke. There was no way I could continue with his plan. I couldn’t hurt her. She had been through enough. And besides that, I was getting to attached to hurt her.

“We need to get her home” a voice speaks up. I look over at the doorway and see Mr Wakefield standing there. “You two have school tomorrow.” I nod, as I walk over to Maedbh and gently shake her shoulder.

“Time to wake up” I say softly in her ear. She groans slightly murmuring something as she turns over. “C’mon love we’ve go to go. You have school tomorrow morning.”

“Not going” she replies still mostly asleep.

“Yes you are,” I say electing just to carry her instead of trying to wake her up. Too tired to protest, she just nestles her head against my shoulder as I carry her out of the room. I follow Mr Wakefield out to the car and settle Maedbh down in the back seat of the car, buckling her in, before sliding into the seat next to her. Her head finds it’s way to my shoulder again as she slips back into a deep sleep.

“I’m glad she’s finally sleeping” Mr Wakefield comments. “When she first got here she wasn’t sleeping at all.” I frown in confusion.

“Really?” I ask thinking back to when I saw her asleep in my room when they had come over for dinner. She’s never seemed to have problems sleeping that I’ve noticed. I vaguely wonder if that meant something but I shrug it off figuring she was just beyond exhausted whenever she had fallen asleep around me.

“Thank you for all you’ve done for Maedbh these past few days” Mr Wakefield says looking back at me through the review mirror, interrupting my train of thought. “You’ve been really good for her. You’re a good lad Harry” I nod, thankful for the dark to hide the red tinge that streaks across my face.

“She’s good for me” I reply, surprised by my honesty, as I look over at her.

“Now go get some sleep. You have school tomorrow” He says gruffly. I look up surprised, seeing that we are at my house.

“Are you sure you don’t need help getting her home?” I ask as I start getting out. He laugh slightly.

“I think I can handle a 15 year old girl” he replies teasingly. I grin.

“See ya. Thanks for the lift home” I say as I start closing the door to the car. He nods a your welcome.

“And Harry? Thank you.” He says causing me to pause a second. I nod, closing the door fully and heading inside.

I head into class stifling a yawn. We hadn’t gotten back until like 1 in the morning last night and then it took me forever to fall asleep because I couldn’t stop thinking about the whole “Operation Nerd”. It was driving me crazy. I felt so guilty all the time but I knew I couldn’t tell her. She’d hate me. Maybe if I just called it off with Luke I wouldn’t ever have to tell her. How would Luke take it though? He obviously wouldn’t approve. He’d be pissed. I just hoped he didn’t turn against me. I look up and see Maedbh walk into the classroom. She looked horrible. I know that’s not something you’re supposed to say but it was quite apparent that she had been crying. Maybe she had been fighting with her Uncle about going to school versus the hospital? Whatever it was, she looked completely shattered.

“Hey” I say softly as she sits down beside me. She glances over at me and gives me a weak smile as the teacher walks in and starts class. I glance over a couple of times throughout class and see that she’s quite obviously not paying attention. Not that I blame her, she’s got a lot on her plate at the moment. Class finishes with the teacher reminding us about our next exam on Thursday and we all start packing up. Luke comes over to my seat and starts talking about some party on Friday and I glance back at Maedbh as she slips out of the class. I turn back to Luke and he looks at me with a raised eyebrow. I feel my cheeks start heating up but I try to repress it.

“I’ll catch up with you later ok?” I say as I grab my backpack and hurry out of the class. I search the hallway and see Maedbh’s head bobbing in the crowd of people.

“Wait up” I call out to her as I push my way through people until I’m walking next to her. “C’mon, lets get out of this place” I say grabbing her hand and starting to pull her towards the door.

“What? Where are we going?” she asks confused.

“Out. You look like you could use a break” I say with a grin. She starts to protest. Something about a review for a test or something. “C’mon, it’ll be fun” I persist with a smile. She pauses a second before nodding with a sigh, a small smile fluttering across her face. I smile, taking that as a sign of yes, and intertwine our fingers as I open the door to outside and sticking my head out glancing around for stray teachers before pushing it open all the way and taking off running with Maedbh in tow. I slow down to a walk as we clear the parking lot and look back at Maedbh who was laughing. I smile, pleased I made her laugh, and not letting go of her hand.

“So where are we going?” she asks curiously. That causes me to pause. We couldn’t go places where we would be recognized as school age kids.

“First things first we need disguises” I say with a smile. “And I know just the place”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, not a lot happened in this chapter but it's setting up for an eventful next chapter I promise :-) But anyways, let me know what you think? Vote and Comment! I'm writing more now so hopefully there will be another update real soon.