Chapter Five

I sat at the dinner table hearing the muffled yells through the floor. I pushed around the food that was getting cold. I think I should just get my stuff and leave.

I got up and grabbed my phone and jacket.

"You don't have to leave. You and your mistress have fun." Kim said grabbing her purse off the couch.

"It's not even like that. And I will leave,  even though I was invited I will leave because I respect this your house too." I said putting my shoes on.

"Kim you need to stop." Chris said finally making it down stairs.

"Trust me little girl. I know this is my home. But I'm not about to be around this bull. If he wants to play captain save a ho-, oh or actually captain suicide. Then he can go right ahead." She said and slammed the door behind her.

"Kim!" Chris yelled and opened the door.

"I'm sorry I'll be right back." He said running after her. By the time he got to her car she sped off.

I felt like I just ruined this man life.

"I think I need to leave so that she can come back." I said holding back every tear.

"Abrielle, wait. This is not your fault. And I haven't been all the way honest with you." He said closing the door behind him. He sat down and asked me to sit.

"Kim and I haven't been seeing eye to eye lately. You see, I want kids. I love kids. And she doesn't at all. Ever since we had a conversion about that we been distant."

"Oh.." I didn't know what to say. They seemed to be in love.

"Yeah and I'm sorry about everything she said. And honestly I don't think there's nothing wrong with you. You just miss your mom and that's normal. What's not normal is how you value your life. You almost threw away what your mom worked so hard for. You." His words were so clear and I wished they didn't hurt so bad to hear. Tears streamed from my face.

He pulled me into his chest and I wrapped my arms around him and I cried. He never said anything. He just held me tight. I felt so secure in his arms and I didn't want him to let go. 

● ● ● ● ●

I opened my eyes and the sunlight was piercing though the curtains. I realized I was on Chris stomach. And I felt his abs on my cheek. I hurried and got off him and he was still sleep. I looked around for my phone and it was behind me on the couch arm rest. I slowly backed away from him trying not to wake him. I grabbed it and unlocked my screen.

10:27 am.

I thought about yesterday and how everything crumbled before my eyes. I realized how I needed to find my family.

A missed call and voicemail from the hospital.

"You trying to sneak out?" Chris said rubbing his eyes.

"No, the hospital left me a voicemail."

"What they say?"

"I don't know. I'm kind of too scared to answer." I said looking at my phone. Chris took the phone and played the voicemail. I looked at him trying to read his emotions.

"What they say?"

"They said they got in contact with you're family in California. But they are on vacation so they will get back to you in two weeks."

"Oh, so I can go home?" I said not realizing it came out so blatant.

"I'm that horrible huh?"

"No I did-"