Part 3, Chapter 3 (13 years old)

Hey! I've been having some pretty bad writers block, (and still am) but today I'm gonna work through it and give you guys a really good part since last time was so short. If you have ideas I need them. But here goes nothing!

Fuyuhiko's POV

I walked along the edge of the lake, scanning my surroundings. The lake was pristine and crystal and beautiful and peaceful. I wanted to dive in, to shatter the muffling silence. But the water was also cold, and cutting, and dangerous. Hypothermia is no man's friend. And yet, I wanted to slice through the liquid serenity I was faced with. 

At least that's what looking to Peko's eyes felt like. They nearly chilled my bones and rocked me to the core with their intense stare. I wanted to do something- anything to make her smile. I realize in that moment the truth of my entire being- I love Peko Pekoyama.

"Your Move." She said, snapping me back to reality. I moved my knight to take her bishop. I had barely landed on the square when her queen replaced it. We kept our game going. Both of us were quiet, not wanting to disturb the silence, just playing.

"Give me a sec." Peko left the table. I took the opportunity and walked around the table, looking at the chess board from her side. What shocked me was that Peko had me cornered. A few more moves and I'd be toast.

"I'm back." Peko said and I hurried around back to my side.

Peko won a few minutes later, no matter what I tried.

"Let's go on a hike or something." I changed the activity. We live near a large park with lots of hiking trails. Ur was pretty outside and the weather wouldn't be perfect enough for this much longer.

"Of course." Peko went to get a bag to put our stuff in and I went to the kitchen to make a couple water bottles and snacks. Peko threw our phones in the bag and I added the water and food. Next, we both laced up our hiking boots and started out.

It's beautiful this time of year. The trees are golden and so is everything. We walk through woods for a bit before we come to rolling prairie hills.  We go left, right, up, down, making turns at random, just following the path.

"Let's stop and have a snack." I stop our walking at a particularly scenic point on top of a particular large and particularly grassy hill.

I pull out a couple packs of goldfish and toss one to Peko, before ripping mine open and sitting on a rock.

"Look!"Peko pointed at a deer racing through the underbrush if a forest thicket down below.

It disappeared from view.

"Aww..." Peko said in disappointment.

"Hey, well maybe we'll see it again. You never know." I pointed out.

"True..." she said, but her tone was still disappointed.

"Catch." I said, throwing a goldfish at her. She snatched it in her mouth and threw her hands up in triumph. We'd been practicing that one for a while.

"Your turn!" She threw one to me, and  it landed seamlessly in my mouth, without me even moving.

"You're too good at that, it's almost no fun." I said while chewing the goldfish.

"Fine." She made to throw one at me, but changed directions at the last minute, throwing the goldfish at least 40 feet away to my right.

I rolled my eyes, and she laughed. Her laughter is so beautiful.

"We should probably hike home." It was getting close to dark.

"I'm not sure which way that is." Peko and I both spun in a circle looking. Which way had we come from?

Peko was looking at me. I had to make a decision. Lord knew she would do it herself when I could for her. "That way." I pointed to my left, appearing confident and we started walking.

The thoughts began to creep into my head. Or maybe it's that way and I knew this was a bad idea and what if we never get home.

"Peko?" I said. She looked at me. "Shouldn't we be back by now? I think this is the wrong way. Maybe if we-"

"Just keep going. We're more likely to find something if we keep going consistently." Peko interrupted me. She gave me a sense of security. But neither of us realized just how wrong we would be. If we had turned to the left and walked a bit we would've popped out into a classic American suburb. But straight ahead, where we were going was 37 miles from civilization.

"It's almost dark. Let's see if we can make a shelter." Peko and I began to gather wood. We made a small shelter before dark. A central branch went in the middle, with smaller ones propping it up on the side, like a ribcage protruding from the ground. Then we covered it in smaller branches and some grass to keep our heat in overnight. By the time we were done, it was dark.

I hadn't realized how small our shelter really was until we were both in there. It was really tight, and Peko was really close. I felt nervous, elated, and tired at the same time. Peko yawned. I followed suit and slid into a slightly more comfortable position. And pressed up against Peko, I felt a warn sort of reassurance and safety. the world melted away and I quickly fell to the masked tendrils of sleep.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
End Monokuma theatre

Gurk
I awoke a rumbling sound, which I soon realized was my own stomach. It was still the middle of the night and Peko and I were seemingly even closer than before. She was so warm- so was our shelter. I didn't want to leave, but I wanted to surprise Peko with berries, but I didn't want to wake her up, but it's dark... the thoughts went on and on.

My head turned to the cell phones in our bag. Why hadn't we thought of this before? I pulled mine out. Dead. I pulled Peko's phone out next. 14%. I tried to call 911, my dad, anyone. No service. I put it away and sighed. No help. Just us.

Peko stirred and I realized that I woke her up getting out the phones. She climbed out of the shelter and ran into a tree. It was just that dark. Her body folded in on itself and she collapsed, unconscious.

I dragged her into the shelter and tried to fall asleep next to her, but just couldn't.

Finally, daybreak came and I shook Peko awake. Her eyes snapped open. "Where.... are we? How did we get here?"

"We're in the woods." I said, hoping to jog her memory.

She looked confused. "Who are you?"

As always, please vote if you liked it or leave a suggestion if you didn't!