CHAPTER 33

CHAPTER 33

[Still Tracey's POV (Casey's Mom)]

"Can everyone give us a minute?" I asked everyone in the room. John and I were surrounding Casey's bed and Jonah sat beside her. Casey took his hand in her and they both smiled. Look at these two, their already acting like siblings. I know they're gonna get along great. "There's a room across the hall where we are allowed to stay in," John said and everybody left the room but Matt stayed and kissed Casey's forehead before he left. "Casey, hon, are you alright? Do you need anything?" I asked her and kissed her cheek. "No, mom, I'm okay. I don't need anything, just tired," she croaked and on cue, she yawned. "Get some sleep, butterfly," John said and patted her shoulder. I know John's having a hard time right now. With him beating himself up for everything and also Casey being in pain, he's having a real hard time being comfortable around people. "Maybe later," she said. Her voice sounded almost like a whisper. I grimaced. "We need to talk to you two," I said and took John's hand in mine. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Casey, Jonah is your brother," I said but it came out a whisper. She nodded and said, "I know and I can't be happier to have him as a brother." She rested her head on his shoulder and he smiled a weak smile. She looked weaker than she already was a few hours ago. I forced on a smile and looked at Jonah, he was grinning like crazy. If I wasn't worrying about my daughter at that moment, I would have laughed at him. A good mother I am. "Do you want us to tell you about it?" John asked Casey. He had already told Jonah the story when he first found out that he was our son so Jonah didn't need an explanation. Jonah wasn't even mad, he was actually very happy when he knew he had a real family now. Casey nodded weakly and Jonah made her lean her back on the pillows but her head was still on his shoulder. I know they both love each other so much already. I smiled and moved closer to John and he wrapped an arm around my waist. "Well, butterfly, your mom and I had Jonah when you were only 2 years old and you don't remember any of this. You were at your grandmother's when your mom gave birth. We were ecstatic about it but my stepsister, Jonah's adoptive mother, begged us to let her adopt him since she couldn't have any more children and she claimed that she loved him from the second she laid eyes on him. We let her, since we didn't exactly have the money and support to take care of you both. So we thought that giving him to my stepsister was for the best. We lost touch with my stepsister when Jonah was 2 years old. They all just moved and we lost communication. But Jonah told me that she died 4 years ago," and he told her the rest of the story. By the end of it, Casey was peacefully resting in Jonah's arms and she looked about ready to sleep for weeks. Both she and Jonah were in the blankets, leaning against the pillows on the hospital bed; he had her arms around her while she rested her head on his chest. By size, Jonah was much bigger than Casey even though he was only 15 and she was 17. "Mom, I'm tired," she mumbled and her eyes were drooping. I checked the time and it was 6:14 pm. "Go to sleep, butterfly," John said and pecked her cheek. "Can I have some soup first?" she asked and a smile spread across my face. "Yeah, sure, baby," I said and kissed her forehead. "She must be starving. John, get the nurse," I said and he started walking out the door. When he was right about to open the door, he turned around and jogged over to us. "Thank you all for dealing with this well and for not getting mad at me," he said and I could hear the happiness in his voice. "Come here," I said and we had a family hug but Casey could barely raise her arms because she was tired and weak. After we pulled away, John immediately left the nurse to get some soup. A few minutes later, the silence was killed when screaming filled the room. I looked at Casey and she was bent over on the bed in pain. I ran to her and grabbed her arms and tried to soothe her. John told me about this before and I thought I'd prepared myself but I was wrong. Seeing my daughter in pain like this, it broke my heart. If Jonah wasn't here, I would've broken down and started crying. When her screaming stopped and she fell back onto the bed and was panting like crazy, I ran out of the room and stopped in the hallway. Also running into Matthew, who rushed into Casey's room after I left the door open. When I heard the sound of the door clicking close, I leaned against the wall and sank to the floor. I pulled my knees up to my chest and started crying. I can't bear to see my daughter like this. I know I wasn't acting like my age but I just couldn't help myself.