Part 36

Steve returned home and found Natasha fuming. He adored the way her cheeks had reddened from anger, and her skin glowed with the pregnancy hormones.

"What's going on, Steve Rogers?" She asked, getting up from the rocking chair in a hurry.

"Hey, slow down " he got cautious, "Too rapid movements aren't good for our baby".

" Well, then his daddy should have thought before he caged his mother in this giant mansion," she said.

Steve suppressed a laugh. She looked too cute but deadly. He took a step close to her and slid his arm around her waist, caressing her neck with the other.

"I have not caged you" he breathed on her lips, " you have caged me".

"I am not in the mood for romance" she pushed him away and turned, "Steve, this is serious. You don't want me to leave the house? Even with Maria? She is my bodyguard. Don't you trust her? Or you don't trust me?"

"Nat, I trust you both. I do not trust Clark. He is manipulative and dangerous. He would not stop at this. Don't you see what he can do? He confessed his love to a happily married woman, and even to the husband. What do you expect from such a man? Just stay away from him and wait for me if you want to leave the house"

Natasha didn't respond, and Steve wrapped his arms around her from behind, kissing her neck.

"Natasha, you are my wife, and we are having a baby. Can we just forget everything else and live in the moment?" He tried to be as gentle as he could.

Natasha relaxed in his arms and turned to face him, he smiled and kissed her forehead, understanding her gesture.

She hugged him, closing her eyes and resting her head on his broad chest.

"You do trust me, right? You know I love you?" She asked softly.

"Of course I do" he replied, " now tell me where do you want to go?"

She smiled brightly, " I want to go shopping and as punishment, you would carry all the bags. Then we would have dinner and lots of ice cream"

He kissed the tip of her nose, " I will do as you wish, my lady".

_______

(7 months later)

Natasha was walking down the street,  wearing a very large jacket with a hood covering her head. She had a small trolley bag by her side and avoided any eye contact with anyone. Her heartbeat raced, with each step she took. And the baby in her womb sensed her fear, cause he became restless too.

"Calm down baby," she said, patting her large belly. It was difficult to walk,  with her baby kicking more than usual, and the weight of her bag, and purse. If only she had made this decision earlier, but she couldn't.

As she reached the zebra crossing, a police car stopped in her way, startling her.

"Officer?" She asked, her heart pounding, "did I do something wrong?".

" Mrs. Rogers," the blonde, tall police officer said. He knew her, he knew her by her surname and that was enough to cause her discomfort.

"You need to come with us. Your husband was involved in a traffic accident. He is in the hospital right now" he continued to speak.

Accident, hospital, husband. Was this another trap? Or is he really injured? The police cannot lie. Or could he influence them? He was too powerful, he could do anything.

Natasha knew she couldn't run anymore. She had to go, she had to return. There was no other choice.

"Where is he?" Is all she managed to ask, and they led her to the back of the car and drove her to the hospital.

"He is out of danger, but we are sorry to inform you that, your husband has lost some of his memories, the extent of which, obviously you get to decide" The doctor informed before letting her meet him.

He lost his memory? Or was he faking it all to keep her with him? Was all this a staged drama? To avoid the court proceedings? But he could be actually injured. This could all be real.

Natasha still loved him. She didn't want to leave him but she had no choice. She suffered and she did all she could until everything fell apart.
She was sure her husband considered her a wife, but not his love. And with all the mess Clark created, their marriage would fall apart. She knew he would do everything to keep her with him, so she decided to escape instead of continuing the divorce proceedings. She didn't want a divorce. She was forced into it. Like she was forced into doing everything else in her life.

With a heavy heart full of fear, she stepped into his room and found him lying comfortably but staring at the ceiling looking lost. She didn't even know what to wish for. That her husband was fine and faking it all, or he was actually sick and it was all true.

"Steve?" She managed to say.

His eyes fell on her and his expressions were like he saw her for the first time. She wasn't sure if he was that great of an actor.

"I am sorry, do I know you?" He asked.

Hesitantly, she took a step closer and stood beside his bed. He scanned her from top to bottom, eyes staying fixed on her pregnant belly then.

"I am Natasha, your wife," she said. If he was actually telling the truth, would he believe her?

"My wife? Oh my God. And..you are pregnant? We are having a baby?" He asked.

"Yes," she replied, still unsure whether to believe him or not.

Steve reached out and held her hand, caressing her fingers.

"I am sorry, I really do not remember our marriage or anything, but I would not disappoint you as a husband," he said. His words, as soothing as ever.

"Get some rest. We will figure it out" she said, leaning down to kiss his forehead, before leaving the room.

********
OmG. Huge twist and turns.
Why was she escaping?
Why did Clark do?
Has Steve really forgotten everything?
Do give your reviews.
A

nd OmG, this is number 1 in romanogers tag. Can't thank you guys enough for the love and appreciation.