Chapter Sixty-Five: Caged.

Beth POV

Opening my eyes, I watched as the world illuminated around me, sunlight casting a golden hue across the room. Shifting my gaze, I took in my environment. The room was small, the bed I lay in at the center, white linoleum flooring creating a pearl sea around me. The walls were also painted white, the stark colour stinging my eyes.

The bed sheets were soft against my skin, the cotton material fresh to the feel, the smell of clean linen flooding my senses. Sitting upright, I looked down at my arms, the limbs wrapped in tight bandages. Swiftly swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, I stood up and walked over to the pile of clothes sitting atop a cabinet on the opposite wall. Picking up the t-shirt and soft sweatpants, I walked over to the adjacent bathroom and changed. The trousers were slightly loose, but after tying them tightly at the waist, they stayed in place.

Lifting my head, I glanced at my reflection in the nearby mirror. My hair stuck out in all directions, desperately needing to be tamed by a brush. My face however, where I was expecting a flurry of purple bruising and thick lacerations, was completely normal. Not one injury decorated my face, the skin its usual shade of pale ivory. The only indication of my recent battle were the two heavy purple bags adorning my under-eyes.

Walking out of the bathroom, I strode over to the cabinet where my clothes were placed, searching the area for my other belongings. Opening each individual drawer, I was frantic when I realized that none of my belongings were anywhere in sight. My sword was nowhere to be found as was my backpack and weapons pouch. My breathing quickened as I turned my attention to the door to the hospital room. Jogging over to it I placed my hand over the doorknob and turned. The door refused to budge.

Trying once more, the door still refused to budge. Slamming my fist against the wooden frame, I turned to glance around the room, noticing a specific characteristic of the space that I should've noticed immediately. The room had no windows, no vents, no means of escape except through that one doorway.

Panicked, I called out. "Hello?!" No response followed, the room eerily quiet. "Hello?!" I repeated, my voice straining.

"By order of the acting Hokage, you have been confined to these quarters until further notice." A voice finally announced, the voice suspiciously coherent for having come from outside the room. Narrowing my eyes, I approached the door, pressing my hands against the solid wooden structure before responding.

"And who is the acting Hokage?" I asked, attempting to keep my voice calm despite my anxiety.

"Kakashi Hatake has taken over leadership of the Hidden Leaf." The different voice replied. There's two of them.

"Where are my belongings?" I continued my line of questioning.

"They are with the Hokage." Gritting my teeth, I slammed my open palm against the door.

"Sasuke Uchiha? Where is he?" I breathed, frustration creeping through me.

"Sasuke is recovering at the Konoha hospital." At the Konoha hospital? I thought to myself. Such an odd choice of phrasing. Why not say that Sasuke was also recovering at the Konoha hospital? Or even that Sasuke was recovering in another room? But that's when I remembered, the windows, the vents. Every room in the hospital had vents to maintain airflow throughout the building, and most rooms for patient recovery had a window of some sort, either looking outdoors or into the interior of the hospital.

My eyes widening, I walked backwards towards the center of the room, begging for my suspicions to be anything but true. But as I stood at the center of the room, I placed my hands together and focused my chakra.