Chapter Fifty-Three: Unrelenting Pain.

Beth POV

The attacks came quickly and without warning, explosions which radiated through the ground like an earthquake. The explosions erupted from the southside of the village, reaching Sasuke and I as we trained in the west training fields. Without a word passing between us, we both grabbed whatever shinobi gear we could, and rushed to the explosion zone. We had prepared for this. We had trained with the intent of defeating the Paths of Pain in battle with minimal casualties. I had explained to the Hokage the precise details of each Path, their powers and connection to the one who controlled them. The shinobi of Konoha were ready, poised and ready for the attack. 

"Sasuke" I called, drawing his attention just ahead. Within moments one of the Paths of Pain came into view. Kakashi sensei was also present, his eyes transfixed on the Deva Path who stood before him, his shinobi headband moved to expose his Sharingan eye. As Sasuke and I darted towards our sensei, we watched as the Deva Path attempted to strike Kakashi sensei, his leg swinging around in hopes of connecting. Kakashi sensei easily dodged the attack, crouching down before forming the hand signs of an Earth jutsu.

"Earth style mud wall!" Kakashi sensei called. In an instant the wall behind the two began forming four bulldog heads, a sight which reminded me of the Hokage faces. Striking at the Deva Path, Kakashi sensei threw the figure at the wall, hoping to capture it within the jutsu. Once in the position Kakashi sensei desired, he conjured his chakra into the palm of his hand. The Chidori.

"Lightning Blade" Kakashi snesei called out, striking firmly at the Deva Paths core. However, just as I expected, the Path dodged the attack. Kakashi sensei looked stunned at first but quickly remembered my instructions and swiftly moved back, launching himself beside Sasuke and myself.

Without warning, another of the Six Paths arrived at the scene, the Asura Path. Facing him I recalled my last encounter with the Path. The sight of him destroying Kouta's body with metal weaponry, the feeling of his metallic limbs slicing through my skin.

"Where is Naruto Uzumaki?" The Deva Path asked, emotionless.

"Uzumaki? Oh, you mean the number one hyperactive knucklehead ninja? He's out at the moment. Care to leave a message?" I joked, my voice stern.

Without warning The Deva Path picked up Kakashi sensei, the man seemingly hovering in mid-air. Without a moments hesitation, the Deva Path threw Kakashi sensei towards the Asura Path, the other Path of Pain waiting patiently to obliterate his victim. Sasuke charged for the Deva Path, his eyes full of fire, lightning radiating from his palm. I charged at the Asura Path, my sword in hand, Chidori flowing from my palm down to the tip of my sword.

The Deva Path used his other hand to quickly dispel of Sasuke, throwing him into a nearby wall. I was interrupted by the other Paths metal limbs, the saw-like arms flying towards me in a barrage of attacks. Manipulating my body, I was quickly able to dodge the attacks, my sword reaching the Asura Path and subsequently slicing into the forearm of one of the arms. The arm was strong, stronger than any human flesh. However, as I concentrated and infused my chakra into the blade of my sword I watched as the blade sawed through the metal flesh separating it from the rest of the Paths body. Picking up the removed limb, I pushed my feet onto the chest of the beast and propelled myself backwards, landing a few feet from where I began.

At that moment Choji and his father Choza appeared, breaking the Asura Paths counterattack on Kakashi sensei. Kakashi sensei lay under a pile of rubble, his face only visible.

"Are you alright sensei?" I asked, pulling the black receivers from the Asura Paths arm. As I removed each one, I subsequently set it aflame, making sure the receivers couldn't be replaced.