Chapter Seventy-Eight: Constant Chaos.

Beth POV

It was strange, not to react to a subjectively horrific sight.

I supposed it was due to the fact that I had seen the outcome of the Reaper Death Seal in my youth. The sight of Orochimaru's panicked face as his soul was ripped from his body, his arms rendered useless as he fought to separate himself from his physical form. I recalled it in such vivid detail. I remembered the way my heart had pounded, how my body had trembled. Yet, despite finally laying my eyes on the visible form of a God of Death, I felt nothing. No fear, no guilt. It had to be done.

As the Shinigami moved past my clone, within an instant it had set itself upon the Third. Unable to move, fight or retreat, the Third accepted his fate. With a proud smile, he looked at me and spoke.

"You have surpassed all expectations, Beth. I wish you strength in the oncoming battle. May the Will of Fire guide you." Staring, I watched as the Shinigami embedded its arm inside the Thirds torso, ripping his soul from the human shell Kabuto had forced him within. Turning to face me, my clone pulled up the bottom half of its shirt, revealing a newly formed Eight Trigrams Seal. Lifting my own shirt, I watched as an identical seal appeared on my own skin before fading into nothingness.

The Shinigami approached my clone, latching onto its form, attempting to steal my own soul. But, just as the Shinigami had appeared, it vanished, disappearing in the cloud of smoke left behind as I broke the clone jutsu.

Inside me, I could feel the strength of the Third within me. I knew that when possible, I would need to release his soul so that he may pass on. But I couldn't risk performing the ritual just yet, and so I would once again ask the Third to assist me in my task, to lend me his strength as I moved on in my battle against Tobi.

"When Kabuto is taken care of, I will release your soul. I promise." I whispered, my voice breathy as I loomed over the unfortunate victim of Kabuto's reanimation jutsu. The young male victim was pale, his face elongated in an expression too horrible to describe. Bending down, I gently closed the man's eyes and mouth.

"Beth." A voice came from behind me, breaking my trance-like state and returning me to the war continuing around me. Turning my head to the side, I was surprised as Asuma sensei came into view. His expression solemn.

"I'm sorry, Asuma sensei." I apologised, my face blank.

"You saved my father from being used as Kabuto's puppet. No apologies needed." Asuma sensei corrected, reaching out a hand and pulling me upright. "Are you alright?"

"I'll admit, before fighting Lord Third I was feeling a little exhausted. But I think when I sealed his soul inside myself, I absorbed his strength. Even now, Lord Third is protecting me." I admitted.

"Well, he always had a way of knowing what people needed. Let's hope that ability transcended death." Turning to face Asuma sensei, I watched as he slowly drifted his gaze downwards. Placing a hand on his shoulder, he raised his chin in surprise, our eyes meeting.

"He isn't the only Sarutobi with that trait. And I'm not the only one who would attest to that." As Asuma sensei opened his mouth to reply, the attentions of the two of us was quickly overtaken by an ongoing battle across the field. Squinting slightly, I watched as Commander Darui came into view. His sights were squarely focused on two intimidating opponents.

"Asuma sensei, who are those two?" I asked.

"Those shinobi are known as the Gold and Silver Brothers. Ginkaku and Kinkaku of Kumogakure. They made a name for themselves by attempting to capture the Nine Tails during the First Shinobi World War. The Nine Tails swallowed 'em, prompting them to consume parts of the Nine Tails flesh to escape. It left them with chakra reserves similar to that of a jinchuriki. And to top it all off they were rumoured to have in their possession four of the five treasured tools of the Sage of Six Paths."