Chapter Fifty Nine

*Ava’s POV*

We sat patiently waiting, anxiety getting the best of me, the doctor was due to arrive back from surgery from Alex any minute. There were risks to this surgery but higher ones if we didn’t proceed with it.

“Stop walking up and down, you’re making me go insane” Connor spoke, causing me jolt still and take a seat next to him.

He took this hard, he’s been closed off and won’t let me ask him how he’s doing, not that I really should but Alex is our son.

“Sorry” I mumbled.

He sighed and slumped an arm around my shoulder, bringing my face to his chest. The tears threatened to spill but I managed to hold them in.

“It’s going to be fine, we know how Alex is, he’ll be fine” he tried to reassure me but it wasn’t working.

“I can’t lose him Connor”

“Me either”

The doors to the surgery room burst open and both me and Connor shot up and dashed over to the doctor.

“Is he okay?” Connor asked first.

“Alex was seriously hurt, he was knocked out and caused his brain to fail, we’ve done what we can but we can’t know anything yet, not until he wakes up”

“When will he wake?”

“Only time will tell, it’s a case of waiting” the doctor smiled before walking away, back to his office.

Connor grabbed me and held me tight, letting me cry into him. What if Alex isn’t okay?

*James POV*

The fact Ava is at the hospital every second of every day is annoying, especially because she’s with Connor. Every time I go and visit I end up walking away angry, due to how close they’re becoming again.

 It’s selfish really, I know they have a son together and a past which can’t exactly be forgotten but I just wish they hated each other.

The truth is, I know that I can’t ever compare to Connor, Ava will always love him more than me. She won’t leave me, not until I mess up and then she’ll use it as an excuse to leave. It’s messed up really but it’s just the truth, I know it and so does she.

  I try really hard to ignore it but one day she will just leave and if I’m honest, I’ll be lucky. I love her, I really do but she doesn’t love me as much and that really hurts. I can try and make her fall more in love with me but it’ll still never be as much as Connor.