Chapter Thirty-Three

I don't own anything, not the characters and barely the plot.

I am so sorry for the long wait! Life's been life and ... yeah.

Percy was bored, it was that simple. She was in the middle of history class and she was bored. What would she ever need this information for? Even if she lead a normal life? She didn't know, but school was school. At least she and sat beside Alicia who kept her from completely zooming out or falling asleep. Why was school obligatory? Why couldn't she pull out an 'I'm a superhero so I can skip school' pass and just get out of here? Why would you want to be a teacher? Percy had asked Paul this once and he said that he liked helping others, helping others learn and that he enjoyed it. The memory stung, but it was worth it. To hear that familiar voice in her head, even though it was just a memory.

When she was finally walking to the mountain, that she now had come to think of as home, she was happy. School was over... for the day. She groaned internally and really wished she did have that cool superhero pass. School sucks, she thought. It really does. When they arrived at the mountain she walked straight to her room so she could do her homework. Best to just get it over with. She found herself missing Roy, a lot. After she was finished with her homework she walked to the kitchen and found Megan starting to prepare for baking something.

"Percy! Do you want to bake with me?" Megan asked.

"Sure," Percy said, as she had nothing to do anyway. "What are we baking?"

"I found this recipe of a cake that sounds delicious. It's called sticky cake," Megan said. "It's Swedish, I'm pretty sure."

Megan continued to get the ingredient and Percy looked at the recipe.

"Um... do you mean the kladdkaka, how do you even spell that?" Percy asked, failing to pronounce the cake, correctly.

"Yes! It's the kladdkaka, don't you think it'll be interesting to try?" Megan asked.

"Yeah," Percy responds. "It will."

"Could you melt the butter?" Megan asked.

-

Sometime later Percy sat on a stool with a spoon in her hand, and a bowl in her other hand. The cake was in the oven and Percy was eating the remains of batter in the bowl because she wanted to. Once she was finished with the bowl she put it and the spoon she'd been using in the dishwasher. She wiped the small spots of batter beside her mouth away with her hand and she looked at the cake in the oven. It looked amazing and she hoped that it wouldn't end up burnt.

The timer ran and Megan, with her oven mitts, opened the oven and took the cake out. She placed the cake on the stove (that was turned off) above the oven. She closed the oven and took a toothpick and inserted into the cake. When Megan pulled it out of the cake she saw that it was clean, meaning that the cake was cooked.

"We did it! It wasn't burned!" Megan exclaimed.

Percy walked over to Megan and they high fived. "Yeah, we did it. Now let's lock it up so that Wally doesn't eat it before ... dinner? Should we have it then?"

"Hello, Megan! Of course, we need to lock it up," Megan exclaims. "Oh, and yes, let's have it after dinner."

"Gotcha," Percy said as she locked up the cake in their Wally-safe fridge.

They took off their aprons and hung them by the other aprons Percy felt a certain joy run through her. She had no clue what it was, but it was welcome. Who would deny happiness? That question, she knew sounded better in her head than it would if it were spoken out loud. She looked at the living room and saw that Connor was watching static, like always. The tv-remote lay unguarded on the coffee table in front of the couch and she knew just what she had to do. She walked up to the coffee table, grabbed the remote and said, "If you'll excuse me, I just have to kidnap Mr. Remote over here."

She then flicked through the channels, turning the static to actual tv on the tv. She settled in some action movie, or show... she couldn't tell.

"Better than static, right?" She asks Connor.

The only response she got from him was his signature grunt.

"I'll take that as a yes," Percy said and received another grunt. "And I'll take that as a confirmation of my previous guess."

She didn't need to be a telepath to feel Connors annoyance, even though it wasn't too strong.

"Why are all of these action movies the same? Action, two characters fall in love, death and more action and death. Couldn't it be more varied, so they weren't all cliche?" Percy says.

"That's what books are for," Connor said. "There are plenty of action books, and a lot of them are original."

"Wow, you spoke," Percy said, putting a hand to her heart. "I feel so honored."

Connor grinned and Percy mumble, "Aaaaaand we're back to square one."

Artemis walks in and sits down beside Percy.

"Woah, when did you get here?" Percy asked.

Artemis chuckled. "When you were doing homework."

"Ah, okay," Percy said.

Artemis nodded and they watched to movie in silence.

"It's kinda ironic, isn't it," Percy said randomly.

"What is?" Artemis asked.

"How your name is Artemis and that you use a bow and arrow. Just like the Greek goddess Artemis," Percy answered.

"I guess," Artemis replied. "Have you ever met her? The Greek goddess?"

"Yeah, she has this group of almost immortal girls who despise boys and hunt monsters with bows and arrows," Percy replied.

"Really? What do you mean by almost immortal?" Artemis asked.

"They don't age, can't be killed by sickness. The only way they can die is if they're killed in battle," Percy said.

"That's kinda cool," Artemis said.

"Yeah, my cousin, Thalia, was a part of that group, The Hunters of Artemis."