Chapter 14

A/N: New chapter! I am soooo tired because of school but luckily, I wrote this before hand! Have fun!

**********************************

"Eden dear, would you put the salt in the tomato sauce?" Luna asked. I had just finished washing some of the dishes from breakfast at her request. Washing dishes was a perfectly reasonable job for a blind girl, although possibly dangerous if I wasn't careful, but asking me to cook could very well be dangerous for everyone involved.

I did it the only safe way I could think of. I tasted everything on the counter until I found the salt, including an extremely volatile type of pepper that seriously cleared my head, and then carefully searched the stove for the tomato sauce. I misjudged the distance between the spoon and the pot and gave myself a small burn that I ignored. I would have trouble finding the sink anyway with everyone else in my way.

"How much salt?" I asked. It had taken a few minutes, but I had finally located the tomato sauce.

"Um, a handful," she said. I cocked my eyebrows at the pot in front of me. She told me to, I told myself as I dumped the salt in. Anything that happened because of that sauce was not my fault.

After a few more minutes a large bowl was thrust into my hands and I was told to bring it into the dining room. It was nice to feel like they needed my help but in a room where chairs stuck out it definitely was not the smartest idea to take my hands away. No offense to the Luna, but she was having a lot of bad ideas today.

With dinner on the table and my butt in a chair I would say things went well but my finger was still hot from when I had touched the pot. I gently brushed over it with my other hand and discovered a blister. Lovely. I didn't think many people knew that I didn't have my wolf so they wouldn't know that I healed like a human. I wasn't sure I wanted them to know. They already considered me disabled and an anomaly because I was blind, add the fact that I don't have an actual wolf, and I might as well be human to them.

The pasta was actually very good but holding my fork was really starting to hurt though. Heather didn't say anything so I guess for once she didn't notice, which must mean I was doing a good job at hiding it. Heather was practically the center of conversation, especially with the guys. Everyone wanted to know about her life, how college was going, how adopting her little brother was going, and her number. I think they were learning more about my life without meaning to than they ever had before. Not that I had a problem with that. That was the good part of my life, not that the rest of it was particularly bad. I really had only hit a rough patch for a month or two.

I twirled another forkful of pasta and chewed while Heather regaled another tale of her and Keagan. She had a lot of those holed up. Stories with just the two of them that I had no idea had ever taken place. That was… curious.

Considering I didn't have anything better to do― for example, converse― I thought about Heather and Keagan. Sure there were a lot of times when they were both out. Actually, there were a lot of times. When Heather left for college Keagan had a lot of calls with a girl he wouldn't let us meet. Although it could all just be coincidence, these hidden stories that Heather couldn't seem to contain really matched up with that time line.

I shrugged it off mentally and sat back in my seat. Heather was still the center of the party so to speak and I could tell she would be a great mother and a great hostess. I had trouble thinking of anyone who could do those to jobs better than Heather. In fact, I think lunch went on longer than normal because everyone was so enchanted by her. I tuned her out mostly. I had already heard the majority of the stories, experienced many of them even, but I was more preoccupied by the fact that my finger was still a bit hot and there was a very tender blister at its tip. I was healing at human pace and at some point someone was bound to notice.