Chapter 1

I packed my bags.

I prepared to head into the woods with only my dog Flapjacks, a cane, and a duffel bag filled with snacks, two sets of clothes, and my special laptop and iPod. My last home was in New York, bordering Canada and the ride here had been long but how long was a mystery to me. IT was quiet here, and I could faintly smell traces of wolves mixed in with the smell of dirt, rotted logs, and running water heard a ways off to my left. If I was right, we weren't more than a day or two's walk from pack territory, and by then, a wolf would be sent to investigate the intruder approaching their borders. I only hoped they weren't one of those rumored violent packs, and considering I hadn't the slightest clue as to where I was, it very well might be.

I was still on the outskirts of the forest, within seeing distance from the orphanage despite the darkness. The only noises were made by cicadas and crickets. A cool breeze ruffled my hair and I tugged on Flapjacks' leash, cuing the yellow lab to lead me into the woods. I tapped my cane on the ground in front of us for roots and rocks, loosely holding the rubber grip, but I let Flapjacks find whatever deer trails there were. We traveled until we were at least ten minutes into the woods before settling down for the night.

I made sure I got an early start and was moving again at four am. I knew the orphanage would notice I  snuck out soon enough and I didn't want to be nearby when they did. About three hours into our hike I settled down for a rest at the foot of a tree. The bark was rough and the ground was soft and a bit mossy in the grooves of the roots. I took a swig from my water bottle. It was late Juneand the temperatures were already only tolerable under the shade of the trees. Flapjacks took a seat beside me and whined a bit.

"I know honey, it's a long walk but we'll be there soon," I encouraged, and I soon felt a warm wet tongue slide up my face. "Aw Jacks! That was gross Love, really gross!" I told him, quickly wiping his slobber off my cheek.

With a groan I stood up and braced myself for the rest of the journey. I didn't know what state we were in, but it definitely had a lot of mountains and rocks, and my calves were feeling it. At least it smells refreshing. And think of it this way Eden, the normal teenage girl would be ecstatic about the amount of calories you're burning!

I took a large inhale of the pine scented air that wafted up the mountainside, mixed with slightly damp dirt from a recent rain and sighed. Calories or not, when this ordeal was over, I wouldn't be able to walk. Then I'd really be a cripple.

I rubbed my eyes gently, annoyed that I hadn't been able to clean them since the funeral two days ago. I already felt the grime building up behind my prosthetics. Nothing was going easily. My eyes itched, I was sweating like a pig from the hike, and I was becoming slowly hungrier.

I knew I had to be careful with the food so I took off my shirt, thankful at least one problem could be remedied. Using the shirt like a sweat rag, I wiped the salty fluid off my skin before stuffing it in my bag and continuing. The light breeze coming up the mountain cooled on my skin. The further I hiked the more annoying my bra became and I knew that no matter how deep in the mountains I was, I was not taking that off. I still questioned my judgment for choosing underwire though. Shoulda gone with a sports bra, I berated myself and patted Jacks' head distractedly.

I could feel the sun edging lower and lower in the sky by the drop in temperature but continued on, deciding that as long as there was a sliver of daylight left I shouldn’t stop.

When Jacks and I finally settled down for the night I was satisfied with the progress we had made. I could smell this packs scent and it was far stronger than before. I was sure I'd be there by next afternoon so I fell asleep to the drone of cicadas and crickets with a small smile.