Chapter 2

Two days in, I had a camp set up comfortably at the foot of their stairs. I made a mound of pine needles my bed and Flapjacks was my complementary pillow. I laid clothes over my body as a blanket and only ate a strip of jerky for breakfast. Jacks got three.

Every time someone passed by I whined and moaned and made a royal racket. When the door was closed I resorted to screaming everything from "My dog is dying", "I'm starving", "And open the damn door!"

I heard the door unlock but the person on the other side hesitated, their footsteps retreating back into the house. I held my breath, expecting them to come back. When there were no such sounds I picked up my duffel bag and whispered for Flapjacks to follow. Crawling on my hands and knees I crept up the stairs and traced the door until I touched the handle. I quietly opened the door and continued crawling into the foyer. The smell of Pine mixed into the smell of cooking which made my mouth water.

There was clattering coming from the right and voices were laughing and fighting and I heard a random bout of crying and through the boisterous babble all I could think of was food.

I kept on my hands and knees and followed my nose. When I could tastes the smell on my tongue I couldn't resist getting closer and I heard a hush flow through the room. I decided to ignore it and continued crawling until I brushed someone's leg and stood up.

"So, what's for dinner?" I asked. When silence responded "Okay, I'll help myself so it better not be soup," I joked. I made my hand spider crawl across the table top and when I touched plates I dived in, making a completes mess and stuffing the handful into my mouth stopping short of shoving down my own throat out of hunger.

"Miss, who are you?" and older voice asked.

"Me? I'm that hobo who took residence at the bottom of your stairs, you didn't hear?" I asked bitterly.

"No, I didn't."

"Well now you did. Actually I've been begging for food for days and living off of one piece of Jerky a day, and let's forget about me and talk about my near dead dog who is surviving on three pieces a day and can barely move! And better yet, let's talk about the asshole who caught me three days ago and sent a blind girl to live in a strange place with no food!" I ranted. After panting a bit I returned to ravaging the food on the table listening to the aged voice sigh from what was probably the head of the table.

"And nobody felt the need to inform me?" he asked, anger lacing his tone. Ooh, Alpha voice, time to start showing respect. Immediately I pulled my hand back and wiped it on the edge of the table cloth bowing my head toward his voice.

"Would somebody get our guest a chair?" he asked. It was rhetorical and his tone definitely implied that it should have been done already. Someone's chair scraped the floor violently as they rushed to comply and I kept my head low.

"Here sit," a girl's voice whispered in my ears. I nodded and sat while continuing to bow my head.

"I would really love to know why I hadn’t been informed that we had a fellow wolf on our doorstep," Alpha ground out. A whisper overtook the silence as people realized that they had left their kin to starve.

"It wasn't something you needed to know," Nails ground out.

"Caleb, we'll speak about this later, along with your mother," he warned. Nails, aka Caleb, let out a low groan and I scooched my chair closer to the table discreetly moving my hand across the table and into the food once more.

"Did you even wash your hands?" Caleb asked, annoyance pervading every syllable.

"Did you?" I spat back, annoyed at his criticism when he was the one who left me to die.