Chapter 22

We returned to the party and Gypsy got me a plate of food. We stood there not really talking to each other. Sometimes Gypsy would talk to people nearby but I kept quiet.

Gypsy told me another alpha had arrived and I bowed my head respectfully when Gypsy told me to.  It was when the last Alpha arrived though, that things really began happening.

Everyone was told to gather around. There wasn't much of a "ceremony" for becoming Alpha. It was more of a large announcement to the pack that the current Alpha makes saying he is stepping down and from now on his heir is taking over. Alpha Ericson made a short resignation speech and welcomed his son into the position of Alpha. Everyone clapped and applauded and Caleb named his new Beta (Blake, obviously), and Alpha Ericson― who was now just plain Ericson― made the announcement that all mate-less females of the pack had been waiting for: The position of Luna is up for grabs begin your fight to the death.

So maybe he didn't say it that way but that was what every female heard.

I hadn't heard or smelled Bella so I assumed she wasn't here and stayed out of the brawl that was forming between the females. Gypsy was nudging me to get in there but that wasn't happening unless Bella was here. I was pretty sure I could deal with anyone but Bella being Caleb's Luna. Only Bella got my wolf stirring. I couldn't even feel a rustle of emotion from her as all these girls clambered to be my mate's wife. Then again, maybe I just knew they didn't have what it took to hold the position.

"Settle down!" and authoritative voice rung out. It was the old hag's and the girls quieted down. "There is someone I think should be considered as Caleb's mate," she said with solemnity. I tensed; all I could think of was that Bella was here and I hadn't noticed. This deceitful woman had deceived my senses. Bella was here, she was being nominated― by and elder no less―and she would be used to give her more power and steal away all I had left.

I felt a hand push me from behind, bringing me out of my thoughts, and Ericson whispered in my ear: "You're on."

My heartbeat tripped and I took a deep breath. I could do this. I could feel my wolf's eagerness to show Bella up but I never got the chance.

Sirens were wailing from behind me and I heard people whispering in confusion. Why were the police here? Why did this happen today? Why did this have to happen now? They had to be here for the pack, there was no one else in the area.

"This is bad. Gypsy take Eden inside and hide her in the Heat room," Ericson ordered and I was dragged away.

What could be happening? Why did I have to hide? Gypsy saw my confusion and asked, "You ran away didn't you?" as though she already knew.

My confusion turned to understand as it all fell into place. Of course the police would be here. They must have tracked me here. I don't know how they would have been able to though. I was positive none of my family would ever report me after staying here. It must have been someone else but who? There were really only two people who hated me here: the old hag and that nameless bitch. It really could be either one of them, but why would the elder risk the safety of the pack this way? Gypsy locked the door behind me and I was trapped in here again.

It was an hour of silence before I was brought back to the backyard by Gypsy. I was left alone so suffer through my thoughts. My heart was beating triple time from both the thought of being caught and dragged back to the orphanage, and from the knowledge that Bella was just outside this house; she was out there standing on the lawn as a member of the pack returned from a long time away. In my head I could see her talking to the friends she probably kept all through high school as though she had never left. It was taunting me―mocking me. I had to hide― I wasn't meant to be here, but she got to fit in with no effort. What if while I was stuck in this room she decides to take her chances and become Luna? What if when I walk out of this room, there's nothing left for me here? I felt tears slide down my cheeks and I clenched my teeth. That wouldn't happen― that couldn't happen. But that didn't stop my blood from rushing through my veins so quickly I trembled. I rubbed my hands together and waited for them to get me. I knew someone would come for me as soon as the police left.