Chapter 4

A/N: This was originally part two of the third chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was so long I felt bad. Thus this is the new chapter 4 :)

remember to vote and comment!! I'll give you cookies and cake :D

_______________________________

I had known already that the consequences of saying that with the intent to hurt was not a good idea and I thought I fully understood that. I realized I hadn't been scared enough when I felt the air around him tremor violently and heard the telltale cracks and pops of a shift. I could hear the ugly tear of his clothing as his body suddenly didn't fit the form of the fabric. I hadn't been nearly scared enough and now I severely regretted everything that had been said in the last ten minutes. I shouldn't have been trying to prove my worth and spine, because that's all it was, this insane urge to prove myself to him, to prove that I wasn't going to be stepped on and played with. I took a shaky step back away from the bank. I should have stood up the moment I realized he was there and grabbed my clothes and left. Now I was stuck with a very angry wolf and I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't even shift and face off with him.

When I heard splashing that told me Caleb was entering the stream I lost control of whatever remote part of me was still trying to school my features. I could feel my eyes go wide and didn't even spare a thought to the risk of losing my prosthetics. My heart was pounding on my ribcage, almost as though pleading with it to open up and let it save itself, screw the rest of me. And I was feeling pretty screwed.

For the first time in years I tried accessing my wolf. I begged her to wake up, to come back, to save me. I heard the beast come closer to me and my calves bumped up against the opposite bank. I scrambled up onto and stayed in a crouched position. I felt a small ripple go through my body and I momentarily thought it was my wolf before realizing it was simply fear that wracked my body. My pulse was distracting me, taking away my sense of sound. Stupid! I berated myself, she hasn't responded in years! Why would she start now, because you're in mortal danger? Oh the irony! She's never there when you need her! Get over it! I screamed at myself. The only way I could fight this battle was a human and I stood no chance if it got physical.

I could only think of one way to calm Caleb. He was wading across the stream slowly, calculatingly. He was stalking me, his prey.

"Calm down, I was screwing with you. I was just trying to make you mad," I said. I tried to sound calm and reasonable but my voice shook with fear.

Caleb growled and I took that to mean this wasn't working. I tried again.

"Really, you don't want to do this. What is the pack going to say when you come back bloody and some poor sap finds my dead body washed up on the side of the stream?" I asked, pleading him to see reason but all I got in response was a snort that said at the moment he couldn't care less. That didn't bode well for me.

My back scraped against the rough bark of a pine tree and I skirted around it, hearing Caleb exit the stream and shake his fur out. His footsteps were near silent on the pine needle covered floor but I strained my ears to hear over my heartbeat and pay attention more than I ever had in my life.

I couldn't think of anything to say that could possibly placate Caleb and was losing hope as I tripped over rocks and exposed branches. My heel caught a particularly exposed one and I fell backwards. I didn't waste any time and scrambled backwards on all fours. I didn't dare turn my back. He was a predator and they liked the chase. Showing him my back would come off as arrogant or as prey and either one would be foolish.

He was getting closer and an idea came to me as I stood once more.

"Please, Alpha, I apologize, I was wrong. Nothing I said was true." I bowed my head. My pride felt like I had shredded it and I felt extremely vulnerable and like a liar. Still, playing up his pride was a good chance to save my butt, even if it did mean mine took a severe hit. It was still better than being Caleb's new kibble.