Chapter 3

A/N: Ok,  I hope you all like it :) I still have more stored up and I'll try to keep it that way!

And thanks to SlightlyTainted for pressuring me and harassing me via chat! Luv ya :P

Vchi's special snickerdoodles for those who vote and comment!! And they are spectacular!!!

________________________

I sat across from Nails, who I now knew was named Caleb, and was currently undergoing the most awkward situation since I arrived. And it had nothing to do with Caleb.

After leaving Alpha's office Gypsy found me wandering the top floor and helped me settle into her room. I had gotten a good sleep on the free twin bed and woke up early and refreshed. Now I was suffering through beasty bug bites and a breakfast with the pack and the Elders were asking me questions.

If there's one thing I remember my mother telling me, it was to never―ever!― lie to the Elders. They would always catch you and once they did they were like a dog with a bone and wouldn't stop until they found out whatever secret it was you were hiding. Whether it was if you stole a cookie from the jar before dinner or murdered your brother, they would somehow weasel it out of you. I was determined not to let that happen.

They were seated at one end of the table and they questioned my relentlessly about my past. Why was I here? What had happened to my parents? Did I have any relatives? What were my parents' names? I refused to answer for any of them and evaded them. It wasn't skillful at all and I know they were after every little secret inside of me but I wasn't ready to bare my soul to the pack Elders when I wasn't going to be here very long, let alone the entire pack. If they were going to get answers it wasn't going to be in front of thirty other people and during breakfast.

Sure all of these questions and my less than clever evasions gave a sense of tension. The elders dogged inquisition had other people's interests piqued and everyone knew I wasn't being honest. It was their last question however that had me beyond mortified to the point where I could feel my entire face burning all the way to the tips of my ears.

"So I hear you haven't entered your first heat yet, when did your mother first have hers?" one elder asked. My jaw slackened and my plastic gaze was facing their direction. My eyes were so wide I momentarily afraid my prosthetics would fall out.

I spluttered a bit, trying to regain my footing. They couldn't possibly honestly care about when my mother had her first heat. Everyone knew that it wasn't based on parents but on your own chemical composition.  The other wolves at the table seemed to bristle as well. The males probably because of what a private and feminine problem it was and the females because they all knew that wasn't the real question the Elder was asking. She was asking if my mother had been alive long enough to give me "The Talk".

After getting over my original mortification I was beyond angry. That was not something they needed to know and they had no right to know either. And I told them just as much. I earned more than a few gasps of shock at my behavior but I continued eating as though I had said nothing wrong.

I felt a kick to my shin and raised my head to Caleb, giving him an annoyed glare.

"You are more than stupid if you think you'll be allowed to stay here after that," he spit out in a whisper.

"They have no right to know when my mother had her first heat and you know it! You think I was disrespectful? They should consider their own behavior!" I shouted in a whisper of my own. I was enraged that these people had so little tact and then had the gall to pin all the appalling behavior on my head.

This time I couldn't eat as though nothing had happened and was stabbing my plate more so than my food. Every time I missed the fleshy eggs I growled lowly and lowered my head a bit more, feeling my face begin to heat up again until I finally gave up and put my fork down with a glare. When people finally began scraping their chairs back I stood and left the table with gusto. I had no idea where I was going but wherever it was, was definitely better than the dining room or kitchen. I needed to be alone for a little bit.