Chapter 8

A/N: Yaaayy! New upload! This one is a bit longer than the previous ones but I still have a twenty page safety zone on word so kudos to me! This is the beginning of something dark spurred on by my crankiness at the fact that I had to be back in America rather than Japan and it is beautiful! If I don't say so myself... Anyway enjoy!!!

***************************

My heart leapt to my throat when it pressed into my arm again.

"Hi," he said quietly next to my ear.

"You always sneak up on me," I sighed with aggravation.

He let out a low chuckle, almost masked by the rain. "That's because you're unobservant."

"I am not!" I defended, "You smell like dirt, and everything smells like dirt here," I explained. My mocking, matter-o-fact tone did not go by unnoticed.

"See, that's where you're wrong. I smell like a damp pine forest, not dirt, and this is Pennsylvania, everything smells like dirt," he teased.

Huh, PA? It made sense but it was strange being in my home state after so long.

"So… Where in Pennsylvania are we exactly?" I hedged. I honestly didn't want it to be anywhere near my hometown but it was best to know anyway.

I braced myself as the first letter left his mouth, "Old Town. It's a small place, not many people know about it."

He was right, not many people did, but I happened to be one of the few and I was nearly sweating to keep a calm exterior.

Old Town: my old town, pun intended. This is where everything happened. This was the old pack house, one of the few places I could remember from my old life. No wonder I picked up the routes so easily, I had already known them. This was my old Pack. Caleb was the obnoxious boy who used to pick in my fr― on Bella. We all used to joke he liked her. Where was she? I hadn't heard a squeak by anyone of that name and for her sake, it better stay that way.

I could feel myself clouding with anger. My eyebrow ticked a bit and Caleb nudged me, pulling me out of my stupor.

"You okay?" he asked.

I nodded stiffly, "I'm fine."

"So is this your first time here?" he asked.

"Not exactly," I said vaguely and turned my face away.

Surprisingly, Caleb didn't push for my answer. It put me on edge when he stayed quiet for a moment.

He finally said something, "Are you okay?"

It confused me. Caleb didn't seem to be a perceptive guy, let alone caring. But no, I wasn't okay. I lied though and told him I was fine, I didn't want him prying into my personal life.

"Then are you feeling better?" he asked expectantly. What was he hinting at, I wondered. Was he referring to this morning? It couldn't be, I hadn't heard or smelled him. But then again all I had heard was the blood rushing in my head and the stench of Bile was all that reached my nose.

I guess he was there. I kept my face away from him and replied softly, "Yeah."

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, still sounding oddly concerned.

"What, I just caught a bug was all," I lied and brushed it off.

"I don't scream when I get sick," he mumbled. I shifted against the tree, my entire body facing away from him.

"Can you bring me back to the house?" I asked, ignoring his accusation.

"Let's wait until the rain stops."