Chapter 39- I Know Who You Are

MacKenzie's POV

"Her name is Tracy Brand." Barry tells us in the cortex. "She's one of the world's top theoretical physicists you know, or at least she will be."

"No kidding." Cisco says. "Girl Scout earns her merit badges. 2021 Nobel Prize, Copley Medal, presidential commendation."

"She's a genius, but what's that to us?" Joe asks.

"She's the key to stopping Savitar." Barry says. "Future me said that four years from now, Dr.
Brand invents the technology that traps Savitar in the Speed Force."

"Four years too late." Joe says. 

"Yeah, but if she invents the tech then, then maybe she's working on the prototype now." Iris says. 

"That's exactly right, so we should find her." HR says. 

"Agreed." Cisco says. 

"Sorry why are we not looking for Caitlin again?" Julian asks.

"Easy, Romeo and Juliet." HR tells Julian.

"Actually, I'd like to know that too." I tell them. 

"None of us have forgotten about Caitlin." HR says. 

"Right, but future Flash already confirmed that she teams up with Savitar. We should be doing everything in our power to stop that from happening." Julian says.

"Or we can just save her." I say.

"We know." Cisco and HR say, completely ignoring me.

"Just an idea." I mutter. 

"Right, so what is Wally doing swanning off to Earth-3 to be with his girlfriend? He could be here right now looking for her." Julian says. "It's like no one's doing a thing."

"No one's doing a thing? Barry and Wally searched the city half a dozen times. No one's doing a thing? Every chance I get, I try to vibe where she is. We're using facial recognition technology. We're using the meta-human app, the satellite. We're doing everything we can." Cisco says.

"I just want her back, okay?" Julian says.

"Yeah, well, if you wanted her here so badly, maybe you shouldn't have ripped off that necklace and turned her into a killer." Cisco says. 

"Okay, okay."Barry breaks them up. "All right."

"Just saying." Cisco says.

The computer beeps. 

"We got a hit." I say, looking down at the computer. 

"Tracy Brand, currently enrolled in CCU's Theoretical Physics program." Cisco reads. 

"So our hopes of defeating an evil speed god hinge on a grad student?" HR asks.

"Yup." Barry says. 

"Could be worse." HR says. "B.A., Cisco, Mack-Attack, let's do this."

"Let's go." Barry says.
***

"Ahh, the soul-sucking fluorescence of academia." Cisco says as we walk through the hallways of the building. 

"Yeah, this is exciting, though. It's like meeting Norbert before he was Einstein." HR says. 

"Albert." Cisco says.

"Norbert." HR says. "Albert?"

"Wait." I say, stopping in my tracks.

"Mack, are you okay?" Barry asks, leaning down to me. Cisco and HR both look at me as I look around. "Do you guys smell that?"

"Toast?" HR asks.