Chapter 1- Paradox

MacKenzie's POV

I pull the straps of my backpack tighter as I run from the school lot, dodging the cars as I run from the kids chasing me.

I quickly stop on the sidewalk and see them get closer.

I shoot my quakes at the ground in front of them.

"Freak!" One girl yells.

"Monster!" A boy yells at me, throwing something and I duck out of the way.

I turn around and run to STAR labs.

I get off the elevator and run down the hallway and into the cortex where Caitlin is at the computer.

"I hate school." I groan, throwing my bag on the ground and jumping on the desk.

"It's 9 o'clock." Caitlin says. "I dropped you off half an hour ago."

"Yeah and like every other day, it didn't go so great." I tell her. "I ditched when the kids started calling me a monster and throwing rocks at me."

"I'm sorry, Mack." Caitlin says.

"School was a bad idea." I tell her. "Especially transferring in two months before the year ends. Can I please stop going?"

"You have to go to school." Caitlin says.

"I can be homeschooled." I say.

"You have to at least finish out the year." Caitlin tells me. "You've been at the school for 4 weeks. You've only got a month left."

"Ugh." I groan.

***

It's around 9:45 and Barry just finished a guy who stole jewelry and I sit on the desk in the cortex.

"What kind of idiot still thinks I can't outrun bullets?" Barry asks, walking into the cortex and taking his mask off.

"That guy should be the criminal poster boy for what not to do against The Flash." Wally says, giving Barry a high five.

"So what are we gonna call him?" Barry asks.

"You mean like a nickname?" Wally asks.

"Yeah. Cisco does it for all of them, he's like the master of it." Barry says and Caitlin, Iris, and I look at Cisco confused. "Can't just call him Suspect on a Motorcycle, Right? What do you think?"

"I don't know." Cisco says.

"I'll take this one." Barry says. "Uh, The Crook. Lame? A Five-Finger..."

"How about Thief? He robs stuff. Let's just call him Thief." Cisco says in a bored tone. "Gotta get to the gym. Excuse me." He says, leaving.

"The gym? Is he... is he, like, working out now or..." Barry asks.

"You know, Barry, sometimes your jokes just aren't very funny." Caitlin says seriously, standing up and leaving.

"I should... I should get back to the paper." Iris says, standing up.

"It's okay. I was just leaving." Joe says, springing up and walking to the doorway.

"Hey, guys... Hey, Joe." Barry says, stopping them. "Look, hey, I'm sorry. Look, I just, I know you guys aren't speaking to each other right now, but I was just thinking maybe we could talk about why that is for a minute."

"No." Iris says.

"Dude." Wally says.

"No, we can't." Iris says, leaning against the desk.