Part 1, Chapter 1 (6 years old)

Fuyuhiko's POV
I blushed and looked down at the sidewalk. Daddy and I walked towards the big grey building.

Daddy says now that I'm big I need a protector. He says the protector lives here. He also says it's a girl my age. I can't believe my protector is a girl. Daddy always says I'm a pansy but a girl? Ewww...

I don't think a protector could ever live in this place anyway. I was small and cramped full of one room apartments. As we walked in, I noted the uncovered concrete and smell. It was damp, as though someone had left a broken pipe instead of fixing it. It was hot too. I don't think anyone who lives here can afford air conditioning.

Daddy and I walked up three flights of stairs and went down a dark hallway. I wondered what kind of girl me protector could be. Maybe she was trained to kill anyone who stepped near me and she was ugly and mean and big.

Daddy knocked on the door and a tired looking man with gray hair and red eyes opened the door. He and daddy started talking but I didn't pay any attention. I looked around, wondering where my protector was. The apartment was small and the people who lived there must actually be poor. I heard a small voice shout "Hiiya!" And the tired looking man yelled,

"Peko, come on out now."

A little girl rounded the corner from the hallway holding a little bamboo sword. "She must be my protector." I thought. I looked down and stepped behind my father.

The girl wasn't ugly or mean looking. Her face looked... smart. Older. Daddy said she was six though, my age. Her hair was in cute little gray piggy tails and she wore a little black sailor uniform. It was actually kinda cute... really cute...

"!!!" I thought "I can't have thoughts like that about my protector. She's probably super tough anyway."

Daddy grabbed my arm, stooping down, and pulled me back out in front of him.

"Introduce yourself, son." Daddy's voice was hard and cold as usual.

I went beet red. Suddenly, I was sure I had never felt so shy in my entire life. "M-my name is F-Fuyuhiko." I looked up, down, anywhere but at the girl.

She smiled shyly (and cutely) "My name is Peko Pekoyama and I'm gonna protect you with my sword skills. Hiiya!" She said and swung the sword. It made a loud thwunk sound on the ground and her father winced.

Daddy look disapprovingly at Peko. "Tsk, tsk," he said scoldingly, "as a protector, I accept nothing less than the best from you, do you understand? You will do well to hold your tongue!"

Peko's eyes looked frightened. She didn't look wise, or older anymore. She just looked scared. "Y-yes sir. I'll try, I really will, I promise, I w-"

"I said hold your tongue!" Daddy was scaring me too.

Peko's mouth clamped shut. "Come along now." Daddy said.

Peko and I trailed along behind him down the hallway and the stairs. We got into the car silently. The ride was mostly silent.

About halfway through, Peko leaned over and whispered. "It's nice to meet you. I meant what I said. I really just want to protect you."

https://discord.gg/63EfxfS

This fic has a server! Please join! I want to meet you!